Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Ticking Noise 7 years 8 months ago #13960

• McZed
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 26
Have you checked to see if there's a big crocodile following you, that's what happened to Captain Hook. ;)

OK, I'll get my coat. :whistle:
Z1300 UK

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Ticking Noise 7 years 8 months ago #13962

• Mark
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 27

Yaegunp wrote:

Mark wrote: Try adjusting your idle air screw for number 4 should be set at roughly 3 to 3.5 turns. Your compression is good, information you have given only relates to number 4 cylinder not firing, so would suspect carb as opposed to coils. Or you may have a faulty Spark Plug or HT lead cap etc

Ahh yes the pesky no. 4 idle air screw, can only be done accurately with the carbs off in my experience.

Flatten the end of a wire coat hanger that will get you to it without removing carbs Z13 special tool lol
17 years a Z13 owner at present 3 x A1's and an A4
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlie9670, Yaegunp

Ticking Noise 7 years 8 months ago #13982

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 832
Idle-air screw conversion 1 year 8 months ago #5527
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !
The following user(s) said Thank You: Yaegunp

Ticking Noise 7 years 8 months ago #13997

• Yaegunp
  • Yaegunp's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 32
This is on the number 5 intake. I remeasured all the gaps/lash twice and they are all within spec except no. 1 intake which was 0.172

1983 Z1300 A5 plus Sidecar.
Attachments:

Last edit: by Yaegunp.

Ticking Noise 7 years 8 months ago #14002

• RickG
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 95
Ooh Aah but best to find it now before more damage has occured and bits of metal get into lots of other places.
Make sure you have an oil supply to it before you ride again because to me it is likely that lack of oil was the cause.
Live your life so that the Westbro Baptist Church will want to picket your funeral
Z1300 A1 x 2

Ticking Noise 7 years 8 months ago #14003

• Yaegunp
  • Yaegunp's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 32

RickG wrote: Ooh Aah but best to find it now before more damage has occured and bits of metal get into lots of other places.
Make sure you have an oil supply to it before you ride again because to me it is likely that lack of oil was the cause.

Honestly, years ago I wasn't that careful with oil and what I mean is I didn't change it often enough but I did keep it topped up. The lack of changing caused my oil window to blacken and it was a real bastard trying to read the oil level. Since then I found out the oil window pops out and have since cleaned and remedied that problem. Also we only used it every now and then and hardly did much distance on it, probably less than 5000k (The last 3 years it did about 100kms each year). I did have a problem with fuel getting into the oil and still might have a problem, the levels on the carbs have been adjusted, however I have a second fuel supply in the sidecar and it has a pump, filter and a regulator, also a different fuel solenoid has been fitted to allow for the 2 different fuel supplies. All this was added by the previous owner.

Since June last year I spent quality time making sure the oil supply was in tip-top condition(5 oil changes) and always 5mm below the top mark, including 2 new filters in that time. So one wonders if the oil pump is working properly as the shim in the photo was installed new around February this year. If not that maybe I got supplied some dodgy shims because there were others that had the beginnings of degradation and others were still nice and shiny. I can check with my records but I believe the shiny ones were the unchanged shims.

I flipped over the shim in question so the damaged side was facing down, not being a cheapskate but as an experiment to see if the noise disappeared, unfortunately it didn't. Soon as it got to max temp captain hooks crocodile chimed in :lol:

I was wondering if that cam being damaged would cause the noise. Rubbing my finger over it didn't feel anywhere near as bad as it looked. I managed to break my tacho cable in the process as well :woohoo:
1983 Z1300 A5 plus Sidecar.

Time to create page: 0.084 seconds