TOPIC:

clutch 7 years 10 months ago #12747

• paulb
  • paulb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 19
Hi Guys
following on from numerous problems i have had trying to get my z13 running properly i now seem to be developing a clutch issue, it seems to be slipping at high revs and when it gets really hot sometimes it hardly bites at all to the extent that you cannot pull away for a few seconds once cool it is back to normal, i have recently topped up the oil with semi-synthetic but doubt this is causing it because it is proper motorcycle oil
i welcome any advice
thanks
Paul

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

clutch 7 years 10 months ago #12748

• McZed
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 26
Assuming your clutch adjustment is correct then you may need to renew it, they’re not that expensive and it isn’t a difficult job to do.

e-bay item No. 281946439383
Z1300 UK

clutch 7 years 10 months ago #12750

• hillsy
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 25
Whenever your bike develops a problem you should always go back to what you changed last to see if this is the issue.

Change your oil back to what you where using before the synthetic stuff.

clutch 7 years 10 months ago #12752

• Ledkz1300
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 76
Are you sure the clutch is adjusted properly? Are you sure the oil was rated for a wet clutch?

A clutch doesn't usually go from working fine to slipping as bad as you say overnight. There is usually a progression. Was the clutch working fine before you added the semi-synthetic? If so, I'd say that was your problem.

I guess its even possible that the wrong oil was in the container. Weirder things have happened.

clutch 7 years 10 months ago #12754

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027
Yes the oil might be the culprit. Just check the brand of oil and ensure that it's JASO MA compliant. JASO MA is a specific oil specification to meet the requirements of engines which also have a wet clutch pack in the common engine casing where the engine oil is also lubricating the transmission gears and clutch pack.

Note that there are some oils available like Shell Rotella T6 which is JASO MA compliant for their 10W40 oil but not for their 20W50 weight oil. So don't just check the brand. I almost got caught with this when I went to buy Rotella T6.

clutch 7 years 10 months ago #12761

• Tonto
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 133
Paul,
I had same issue on myZ900: changed oil to a motorcyle semi sythetic, and was greated with instant clutch slip at anything over 5.5k revs. Dumped the oil, filled her with a good quality 10/40 mineral, and the problem vanished. Already said in the post, but worth a try before you strip the clutch.
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without the loss of enthusiasm " Winston Churchill.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.095 seconds