Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Can I use my 79 cylinder block and head on my 81? 8 years 1 week ago #11895

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 832

Hi contrary to others advise, you are not a mechanic and the mess you have got yourself into demonstrates that, in my opinion you are heading into a long road of heartache and costings and at this rate another disaster, apologies for being blunt but I say it as I see it. My advise was to source a complete motor and drop it in preferably to the A1, this is probably a days work with some help and assistance, which would get your bike back on the road rapidly. Then start to un-muddle the mess that you are in at your own leisure. At present you are talking cost wise, Gasket sets Primary chains, secondary Chains, cam chains probably a water pump chain, tensioners, crank shaft bearings ATU the list will get bigger and bigger. Along with the Labour costs of someone sorting this mess out. You need to recognize that you are out of your depth. Listed on E-Bay in I think Michigan is a complete A1/A2 motor for $1200 do your self a big big favour. E-Bay number 121952731025. Ignore my advise if you choose and hopefully in a years time you won't be saying wish I had listened, at this minute in time you have 2 bikes that you have de-valued massively.

I'm glad someone had the balls to say this ! It's no where near as harsh as being "F'd" over by someone claiming to be a mechanic and all but destroying an engine through complete ineptitude! None-the-less, I'm pretty certain I speak for most when I say I have some serious empathy for ledkz1300.

Sounds like he's now got someone reasonably competent who can hopefully sort this can-o-shit, out!

Sometimes when we're up to our ankles in shit, we fail to realize we're in it - upside-down !

Good luck and keep us posted. We're all learning from this !
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !
The following user(s) said Thank You: Elroythekid

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Can I use my 79 cylinder block and head on my 81? 8 years 1 week ago #11897

• Ledkz1300
  • Ledkz1300's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 76
After much deliberation with my local friends, one of whom chimed in to post, I'm going to buy that engine from Ebay. Provided that it will fit with no screwing around.

So I have to ask, at the risk of sounding like more of a dummy than some of you think I already am.... will this 1980 engine me a match for my 1979 frame?

By the time it gets here it will cost $2000 CAD but I know I am looking at that in parts alone. The mechanic who has the bike now plastiguaged the bearings at 3 thou. My friend tells me the book says, after conversion, that 2.8 is the service limit. He hasn't checked the rod bearings yet but I don't think there would be any point. They are probably done as well.

The bearings visually show signs of scoring. Hopefully I can get the pics to link this time.

Thanks again in advance for all the advise. I guess its good that I didn't just dump that nice head and cylinders on a worn out bottom end so it was worth the price it cost to find out.
Attachments:

Can I use my 79 cylinder block and head on my 81? 8 years 1 week ago #11898

• Mark
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 27
The Engine will match your frame, I don't know of any differences in the frames between the A1, 2, 3, 4, or 5. Ensure you use the loom already fitted into the A1 and the A1 ignition system. I watched the vid that goes with the engine for sale and it is a runner with low mileage on it, would advise that the only part you remove from it is the CAM COVER, sump and oil spill pick up and no more, this will enable easier fitting. Then bolt everything back up and get the bike running, You will start to smile again then. One big positive is you ultimately will have a spare engine and a vast amount of gained knowledge and experience. Best of luck, Kwak1261 and myself in the UK are rooting for you as well as all on this forum, enjoy riding this spring
17 years a Z13 owner at present 3 x A1's and an A4

Can I use my 79 cylinder block and head on my 81? 8 years 1 week ago #11899

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 832
That's a great idea ! Then you and you friend can take your time delving into the other engine and sort out the issues. Hopefully you can rebuild it and have a fresh spare. Always some here to help with any concerns when you swap-out the engines.. Good luck !
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !

Can I use my 79 cylinder block and head on my 81? 8 years 1 week ago #11900

• Ledkz1300
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Well I just bought it. Hopefully this puts me on the road in short order.

I'll update as we go along.

Thank you for your help on this.

Can I use my 79 cylinder block and head on my 81? 7 years 11 months ago #12407

• Ledkz1300
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
The engine arrived today. I hope it works as well as it looks. It appears to be in very good shape.

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds