Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Can I use my 79 cylinder block and head on my 81? 7 years 10 months ago #12408

• Mark
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 27
That looks like an exciting parcel in the post, chuck it straight in and get it fired up you will be out on it by Sunday
17 years a Z13 owner at present 3 x A1's and an A4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Can I use my 79 cylinder block and head on my 81? 7 years 10 months ago #12415

• Tyler
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 46
Good move on the engine swap, the biggest challenge of working on project like this is simply making the decision an moving forward.

You'll be up and running if just keep your eye on the prize.

BTW was that the '79 with bad bearings?
1981 KZ1300

Can I use my 79 cylinder block and head on my 81? 7 years 10 months ago #12419

• Ledkz1300
  • Ledkz1300's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 76
Yes, the 79 had the bad main bearings. Didn't bother to check the rod bearings but no doubt they are worn out as well.

This was the best parcel I've received in a long time. Very well packaged for transport. On a pallet with rubber mat and tire underneath. Wrapped in plastic, then a cardboard box, and wrapped in plastic again. All the holes were also plugged in case water made its way under all of that.

The border people stamped the papers and didn't even charge HST so it cost me nothing but a bottle of fine whisky and a favor to get it here.

The engine is very clean with no obvious leaks except where the tachometer attaches to the motor. Had some road grime and grease on it so it doesn't look as if someone pressure washed it to hide leaks. Some of the factory paint has cracked in a few corners but overall it was in great shape after I cleaned it up.

It is missing the starter, starter cover, and the clutch cable cover. No problem since I have two each of those. I knew that when I bought it. The engine came from Michigan Motorcycle Salvage. So far its been a pleasure dealing with them. Everything is as they said it would.

Dave is coming out next weekend and we'll put it in. In the meantime I'm cleaning up everything I can't normally get at with the engine in the way.

Attachments:

Can I use my 79 cylinder block and head on my 81? 7 years 10 months ago #12569

• Ledkz1300
  • Ledkz1300's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 76
Today was the big day.

We managed to get the engine in and running but it wasn't without its trials. The first problem was missing parts. The previous mechanic I hired totally screwed me by not returning all of the pieces. Many nuts and bolts were missing. Clutch actuator arm, a motor mount and its plate, not to mention the propeller shaft. We lost a lot of time today mining the 81 for parts. The shaft was really aggravating and it almost shut us down without the proper tool to take out the snap ring but I made one out of a pair of old needle nose pliers.

Missing parts aside, the engine seems to work very well. It started right away and ran quiet. No smoke or other issues. There are two plates on the valve cover with open holes that suck air. In both of the other engines they are blocked off from the factory. I'll have to clean up the other covers before putting them on. I have a small exhaust leak at the collector which can be fixed with some finesse and a rubber hammer. There is also a small carb issue. The throttle doesn't fall off fast like it should when you let off. Also have to get the fan situation sorted. The wiring in this bike is a mess so I have to look at it with fresh eyes. Other than those things I think I'm good.

Last edit: by Ledkz1300.
Time to create page: 0.093 seconds