• Page:

TOPIC:

starter 8 years 3 months ago #10757

• Ager
  • Ager's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 1
My z13 has been parked for a year and maybe run 6 times each time it fouled plugs have now sorted this as per my other topic but the starter is very lazy and at times i have to press the button repeatedly and eventually it will burst into life any tips on what this might be as i am sure one of you guys will have had this problem (The battery is charged)any advice or tests thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by KZQ.

sterter 8 years 3 months ago #10760

• Mark
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 27
If your switch isn't faulty and your battery is good with a full charge I would initially check that all connections are tight and clean on battery, starter motor solenoid and starter motor, further ensuring that your engine to frame earth is good. Remembering that your frame is acting as your return to battery
17 years a Z13 owner at present 3 x A1's and an A4

sterter 8 years 3 months ago #10766

• Tonto
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 133
I had the same problem on my A1 this summer: starter motor was getting reluctant to operate needing repeated pressing: after checking all connections, solenoid, battery and the starter motor, it turned out to be the last thing I checked, namely a poor connection in the RH switch. A thorough strip and clean and the fault has never reappeared.

Although my bike has since found new and unexpected ways to challenge me :evil:
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without the loss of enthusiasm " Winston Churchill.

Last edit: by Tonto.

sterter 8 years 3 months ago #10768

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
A little test you can do is jumper the started relay. If it starts readily when jumping the relay, you know the problem is in the wiring leading to the relay or the RH switch. The relay is like the half way point in the circuit and by jumping the relay you're testing half of the circuit in one shot.

sterter 8 years 3 months ago #10773

• Ager
  • Ager's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 1
Cheers will take a look at this and hope you are dealing with your problems as they come i was really thinking of just selling mine but no i will not quit and intend to totally rewire reswitch recarb and rebrake this beast over a period of time maybe along time but brakes and carbs underway going to try and fit the old x10 carbs as i have two brand new sets and i see these are used as updates by a site called WG carbs wondered if anyone had used these guys they rebuild the Z13 carbs cheers

sterter 8 years 3 months ago #10785

• Yaegunp
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 32
I had problems with mine for ages and was impossible to start when hot - The symptoms were like the battery was flat which was not the case as I have my battery on charge/conditioning when it is parked. Turned out there was quite a bit of corrosion in the wiring connecting the IC Igniter, bare cables touching each other and what not. I also found the starter motor had shorts in it as well and ended up buying a brand new aftermarket unit.

Well done on making that brave step to keep the bike and bring her back to life. I found it a big decision to make, so now, 'in for a penny in for a pound!' so they say. Although I might have to change that to 'in for a pound in for a thousand!!'
1983 Z1300 A5 plus Sidecar.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.090 seconds