Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Clutch Play 8 years 4 months ago #10506

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
I'll be checking my KZ13 for this chain wear and if I find any substantial wear, The motor will be coming out and I'll tear ass into it. Unlike others, I would cherish the opportunity to get in to this. I'm fascinated by engine designs and any excuse to dive deep in to a different engine makes my heart go pitter patter.
There are a number of silent chain manufacturers out there that will custom build endless chains. I'll be going directly to Borg Warner since I know for sure they have been making the transmission chains for 30-40 years.

www.borgwarner.com/en/MorseSystems/produ...20Chains%20Sheet.pdf

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Clutch Play 8 years 4 months ago #10508

• kwak1261
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 72

RickG wrote: The chains are available new but take the bank manager with you to buy them www.motorcycleproducts.co.uk/kawasaki-z1...146_6149.html?page=2

nice one Rick, i couldnt find these 2 years ago when i needed them, and in the UK as well.
Z1300 A4 ZG1300 DFI X2
Z1261J GS1000S
Vmax1200 XT500

Clutch Play 8 years 4 months ago #10522

• Yaegunp
  • Yaegunp's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 32

Yaegunp wrote: With the 1983 A5 I always seem to be taking one step forwards and 2 steps backwards. Up until very recently I hadn't been able to source a parts list for this model, so I was always second guessing if I was ordering the correct part. Some examples of the differences are the IC Igniter, reg/rec and stator (sadly I found out the hard way about these.

Now there is some confusion as to the primary chain. Please see the following links, what we are looking at here is the same part number (part# 92057-1075) but different products, 46 link vs. 50 link: -

A5 Primary chain - Motorcycle Products Ltd

A5 Primary chain - Partssweden

Interestingly, the primary chain part number for a1-a3 is 92057-1016 the a4-a5 is 92057-1075.

If spending this much money one would be hoping to order and receive the right part for the job. To add insult to injury, I start thinking maybe someone installed a 50 link primary chain when it should have been a 46 link chain. Naah, that couldn't happen, could it!

Luckily the secondary chain is the same part number throughout (A1 to A5).

Anyways, I was figuring on making sure I can get the parts before a 'tear down' so as to stop me from throwing effort after foolishness (if you know what I mean).

Thought I should post this up in case it comes in handy to someone or maybe I have gathered some mis-information we get time to time from the web. The A5 primary chain is the same chain from the ZN1300 1983-1988 and it's supposed to be stronger.
1983 Z1300 A5 plus Sidecar.

Clutch Play 8 years 4 months ago #10579

• Yaegunp
  • Yaegunp's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 32
In the process of removing the engine and I spotted something that may of interest to those who have been involved in this thread. There is a lot of play in the primary and secondary chains for sure (Haven't measured it yet but have ordered some more anyway).

The video link that follows shows the movement on the drive shaft first and then shows a view looking up into the bottom of the engine. You will notice movement (I have no clue)but what is interesting you can hear the noise but no movement of the chains is involved. So I'm interested in what you all think??

Z1300 clutch Play
1983 Z1300 A5 plus Sidecar.

Clutch Play 8 years 4 months ago #10585

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029

Yaegunp wrote: In the process of removing the engine and I spotted something that may of interest to those who have been involved in this thread. There is a lot of play in the primary and secondary chains for sure (Haven't measured it yet but have ordered some more anyway).

The video link that follows shows the movement on the drive shaft first and then shows a view looking up into the bottom of the engine. You will notice movement (I have no clue)but what is interesting you can hear the noise but no movement of the chains is involved. So I'm interested in what you all think??

Z1300 clutch Play

Most of what I see in the video appears to be the play in the gear dogs and I would expect that. I can't wait to see the primary/secondary chain slack. There's 3 cam dampers in the driveline and I'm surprised that the primary/secondary chains are stretched so much. Usually a lot of the chain stretch can be attributed to the constant on/off of power on a solid drive system pulling /pushing forces exaggerating the slack in the chain. Kind of like cracking a whip.

Where did you finally end up sourcing the chains from and what did they nick you ??

Last edit: by Kawboy.

Clutch Play 8 years 4 months ago #10587

• Tonto
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 133
Great post this one !
Having a wee bit of clutch rattle on my A1, I find it interesting, educational and terrifying in equal measures :unsure:
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without the loss of enthusiasm " Winston Churchill.

Time to create page: 0.092 seconds