Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Clutch Play 8 years 4 months ago #10429

• Yaegunp
  • Yaegunp's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 32
I have some chatter noise in the engine that stops when I pull in the clutch and when it revs over 1500 rpm. I thought it was coming from the starter motor clutch but I have fixed that and I am still getting chatter.

Anyway I have posted a couple of videos on YouTube of the clutch play and the chatter noise in the hope someone can shed some light on the problem. Thanks in advance gents.

Clutch Play <<
Click Here

Chatter <<
Click Here
1983 Z1300 A5 plus Sidecar.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Yaegunp.

Clutch Play 8 years 4 months ago #10434

• Craig
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 43
it could be one, or a combination of

A. You have a slightly out of sync idle, causing backlash on the primary chains
B. Friction plate chatter in the clutch housing hub.

Generally the noise is from the hub and friction plates chattering. The clearance between the friction plate tabs that locate in the hub and the hub groove should not exceed 0.6mm if i'm not mistaken. I cleaned up the burs once on my hub and unfortunately exceeded the tolerance and subsequently got the clutch chatter. Won't cause any damage, but just very annoying.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Yaegunp

Last edit: by Craig. Reason: Gramma

Clutch Play 8 years 4 months ago #10437

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029

Craig wrote: it could be one, or a combination of

A. You have a slightly out of sync idle, causing backlash on the primary chains
B. Friction plate chatter in the clutch housing hub.

Generally the noise is from the hub and friction plates chattering. The clearance between the friction plate tabs that locate in the hub and the hub groove should not exceed 0.6mm if i'm not mistaken. I cleaned up the burs once on my hub and unfortunately exceeded the tolerance and subsequently got the clutch chatter. Won't cause any damage, but just very annoying.

I don't believe that's the case here. Watching the first video, you can see the inner hub rotating the same as the clutch basket. If there was excessive wear on the tabs and basket there would be movement visible between the 2.

I do believe that this problem is exacerbated by something going on in the idle circuit. Seems to be a misfire like condition gong on shaking the driveline possibly and any excessive play in the driveline would rattle.

I've asked Yaegunp to post this video to get some feedback from the group since this noise seems to be unique and maybe someone else has come across it before. It's also a great opportunity to share this experience for all of us to learn from.

Please keep the thoughts coming.

Clutch Play 8 years 4 months ago #10449

• kza13
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 97

Kawboy wrote: Watching the first video, you can see the inner hub rotating the same as the clutch basket. If there was excessive wear on the tabs and basket there would be movement visible between the 2.

Please keep the thoughts coming.

But looking closely at the video the baskets move but the shaft doesn't, why is that ??, and if the whole "shebang" moves then wouldn't that cause the "rattle" noise when it's idling and it would stop at clutch engagement and higher revs ?, just an observation, probably wrong ... my glasses ain't as good as they should be :-)
after tuesday even the calendar goes WTF
1979 KAWASAKI Z1300 A1 WITH A DJP SIDECAR
Frame No: KZT3OA003911
Engine No: KZT3OAE004153

Clutch Play 8 years 4 months ago #10450

• globemaster
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 55
Good observation, kza13, but the end of the drive shaft cannot be seen. What you are seeing is the spring plate pusher. It would not necessarily have to rotate with the clutch. But you bring up a good point. It seems there is a lot of free play in the clutch assembly rotation. Maybe the inner clutch hub is loose on the drive shaft, or the drive shaft is loose on the secondary chain, or the secondary chain has a lot of play in it.

Clutch Play 8 years 4 months ago #10451

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
KZA13 is on to something here. I didn't open the video up to full screen so I missed it. The video is short and I tend to open up to full screen once the video starts. I also cranked the volume up to 100% and the sound that Paul is producing by moving the clutch basket back and forth is the noise that I hear when it's running in the second video.

Usually the clutch baskets are riveted on to a steel machined hub and I suspected the rivets have loosened up. I sincerely doubt the primary or secondary chains are at fault here but they could be physically checked by dropping the oil pan and looking up in to the crankcase area.

I really like the use of a video here to help with the diagnoses. What a great tool for helping to explain things and sharing. I hope to see more of this.

Time to create page: 0.197 seconds