Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Oil pump pick up screen 8 years 4 months ago #10269

• RickG
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 95
Holy schmidt that could have been disasterous, even as it is there's a heap of work.
Live your life so that the Westbro Baptist Church will want to picket your funeral
Z1300 A1 x 2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Oil pump pick up screen 8 years 4 months ago #10276

• kza13
  • kza13's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 97

RickG wrote: Holy schmidt that could have been disasterous, even as it is there's a heap of work.

WAS heaps of work, that was back in 2013, did a case swap etc, it's my 13, my daily rider, still going, but I always listen for a "tinkle" from the clutch case now, and do oil changes more often, still look for chunky bits in the old oil :-) :-) :-)
after tuesday even the calendar goes WTF
1979 KAWASAKI Z1300 A1 WITH A DJP SIDECAR
Frame No: KZT3OA003911
Engine No: KZT3OAE004153

Oil pump pick up screen 7 years 8 months ago #13977

• Craig
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 43
kza13, I'm pleased I found your post regarding the oil pick up screen as I was about to post on the same issue. Over the last few years I have had my sump off numerous times, 1 of them being to rectify my gear jumping issues which i posted about some time back. On all occasions i removed the screen and cleaned it and was always amazed at the amount of residual gunk on it. On my last rally I noticed my oil light would only go off at just over 2000rpm! I chanced it and rode back home from the rally (300km) and by the time i was home my oil pressure light was only going off at over 3000rpm! So in all, from a normal oil pressure to almost zero in 600km. Yikes! Pondering the problem my thoughts were 1, bearings 2, oil pump 3, relief valve 4, loose oil pick up 5, Oil pick up screen. The latter was obviously the last thought as it had not been long since I had cleaned the screen. Approximately 12000km (7500 miles). Well my screen was completely choked starving the oil pump!!! I have always used a very reputable brand of oil and find it hard to believe that all that gunk could have come from the oil on two oil changes. The only other work that I carried out in that period was a total clutch plate replacement. So it just goes to show........that is one area of our bikes that must not go unattended for any length of time. Thankfully the catastrophic did not happen...well not yet :unsure:

Last edit: by Craig.

Oil pump pick up screen 7 years 8 months ago #13978

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
Thats the fist time I have ever heard of a secondary shaft bearing going on a 1300.
Very rare, as it is pretty much 99% immeresed in oil when the engine is running.
Very unlucky indeed.

As for the oil pump screen / mesh, it does do a very important job as you can see from the photos.
I make it a point of cleaning mine on any bike at the most every 10k miles.
For the time and cost of a sump / oil pan gasket and some exhaust gaskets, its a "no brainer" really.

All good advice above !

Pete F
UK
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.061 seconds