TOPIC:

clutch 8 years 4 months ago #9936

• paulb
  • paulb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 19
Hi guys
took my bike to work for the first time in ages and got caught in some really heavy traffic, while on a steep incline the clutch seemed to be biting further and further along its travel and it got to the extent that I had to pull off the road.
The clutch cable seemed to be really loose so I adjusted it until there was more resistance on the lever and managed to get home, it is a new clutch cable and all was well until I got caught in the traffic any ideas
thanks
Paul

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

clutch 8 years 4 months ago #9937

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lifelong Rider Suffering Through MBD
  • Thank you received: 274
Hi Paul,
I'd start by revisiting the clutch adjustment procedure which is outlined on page 20 of the manual (the second file down in the manuals box on the home page).
Hope that helps.
Bill
1947 Indian Chief, 1968 BSA Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 Kawasaki W3, 1976 KZ900 A4, 1979 KZ750 B4, 1979 KZ750 B4 Trike, 1980 KZ550, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 1985 Kawasaki ZN1300, 1987 Yamaha Trail Way, 2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer, 1981 GL 1100, 2009 Yamaha RoadLiner S

clutch 8 years 4 months ago #9939

• Lucien-Harpress
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 108
Yup, see above. Be aware that the procedure actually starts with adjusting the small arm that's under round cover on the left side. THEN you do the clutch cable adjustment on the engine, THEN on the handlebar.

Hopefully a loose connection is all you have to worry about, and it goes away when you tighten everything up.

clutch 8 years 4 months ago #9961

• zed_thirteen
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 137
I've had this problem before - only on a very steep uphill incline in very slow moving traffic. I thought it was to do with the plates getting starved of oil.

Is it really just down to adjustment?

I don't have any adjustment on mine now after hydraulic conversion but as it's still not running I can't try crawling up hills dragging the clutch
1980 KZ1300 B2 Touring/A2
1990 ZZ-R1100 C1

Last edit: by zed_thirteen. Reason: forgot something

clutch 8 years 4 months ago #9971

• paulb
  • paulb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 19
I am not sure what to make of it both times it has happened has been on the same steep hill so the oil starvation theory sounds good, I will adjust the cable as suggested and let you know how I get on
many thanks
Paul

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds