Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Oil Level Viewing Glass Query 8 years 7 months ago #9277

• kza13
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 97
My '79 has a later model clutch cover with the bigger sight glass, the filler is on the clutch case, when I pour in oil it fills the sight glass and I have to wait for it to flow into the sump to get a reading, when running at idle the sight glass is empty but oil is dribbling down the glass, I have the larger sump so it's 6 litres of oil or more especially if I change the filter, seems strange you don't fill the glass when putting oil in, unless you pour it in really slow ????
after tuesday even the calendar goes WTF
1979 KAWASAKI Z1300 A1 WITH A DJP SIDECAR
Frame No: KZT3OA003911
Engine No: KZT3OAE004153

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Oil Level Viewing Glass Query 8 years 7 months ago #9278

• BigSix
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 224
just to add:

- the most expensive litre of oil is the one you don't buy (if your engine went to hell you know why)
- make sure the bike is REALLY upright (on the main-stand, a friend of mine used to check with a small-water-level)
- once you pout the oil in you need to wait until is all spread within the engine
- if you have replaced parts fill it on to the right-level, start the engine and run it for some seconds. The turn it off and wait until the oil has dropped again

The bigger oil-glass is much better for the purpose, if you can replace the old one

The difference between the upper- and lower limit (of the bigger glass) is 1 litre

regards

Holger
Z1300 A1/ KZT30AG built 1979
frame KZT30A 004285
engine KZT30A 000288
location: borderland-triangle France/ Germany/ Switzerland, Europe

Oil Level Viewing Glass Query 8 years 7 months ago #9279

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
I agree with everything said on this post but would add the following :-

Always check your oil 10 to 15 minutes AFTER running the engine.
That way the majority of the oil has had chance to settle back down to the sump and find its level and the rest is sitting in all the other parts of the engine it will sit in (cylinder head etc).

If you are running with a SHALLOW sump / oil pan, then the oil level is best just under the TOP of the site glass as the sump holds less oil.

If you are running with a DEEPER sump / oil pan, then the oil level is best just over half way up the site glass as the sump holds much more oil.

Pete F
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?
The following user(s) said Thank You: BigSix

Oil Level Viewing Glass Query 8 years 7 months ago #9289

• kza13
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 97
Just to clarify the different sight glasses

after tuesday even the calendar goes WTF
1979 KAWASAKI Z1300 A1 WITH A DJP SIDECAR
Frame No: KZT3OA003911
Engine No: KZT3OAE004153
Attachments:

Oil Level Viewing Glass Query 5 years 9 months ago #20402

• Akz1300
  • Thank you received: 8
Hi I have an early Kz 1300 frame number 874 engine 911 & stamped on clutch cover is 4.6ltr, small sump, I have just done oil & filter change but not sure which sight glass I have hard to tell from pics, my sight glass is 19mm across the glass itself. Well I ran the engine stopped it and then checked after 10 minutes correct for high oil mark but over night settling it is aprox 2mm higher than high oil marker, the height check is at the lower part of the oil where it dishes in the middle, I did put in more than the 4.6 ltr think it worked out at 5ltr, then I was told if too much oil it is not good as will froth where the pick ups for the cranks dip in the oil? Is this correct or is this just at initial start up? The oil is Motul 5000 ma 10/40w semi synthetic .

Oil Level Viewing Glass Query 5 years 9 months ago #20404

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
Yeah, you're a little high. I would be tempted to dump 200 ml. If you choose not to, I think you'd be ok with regards to frothing. On these bikes keeping the oil level up at the top is probably the best thing you could do. It actually helps keep the oil temp down a tad.
For the future oil changes, the galleries in the cylinder head are many and don't drain as nice as I would like them to. Try to put in the 4.6 L and let it sit for a loooooong while before topping up. As you have demonstrated, sitting overnight has increased the oil in the sump substantially. When running the engine, that extra oil will be hung up in the cylinder head for a while but when the oil is really hot, it will run down to the sump much faster than when just changed and warmed up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Akz1300

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds