Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Oil Level Viewing Glass Query 8 years 7 months ago #9270

• Tonto
  • Tonto's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 133
Guys, I know this may seem a bit of a dumb question, but, can you rely on the viewing glass for a reasonable guide to engine oil level ?
My bike does not smoke, leak or appear to use oil in any way, but after some minor work on my engine (clutch strip down),I thought best to top her up, and was surprised that after half a litre of new oil there was no sign of oil on my sight glass ? I filled my bike from dry last year with correct oil and volume.

Ive never had this happen on any other bike - you add oil and "low and behold" it slowly appears in the sight glass ;)

I am doing an oil and filter changer in the next couple of weeks so will be adding fresh oil and can be sure of the volume being added, but did not want to over-fill her in the mean time.

Cheers Tim
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without the loss of enthusiasm " Winston Churchill.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Oil Level Viewing Glass Query 8 years 7 months ago #9271

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
I would say it's pretty hard to screw up. The gauge is a glass window with a circular steel disc on the back side with 6 orifice holes in it to allow the oil to settle in the window. Pretty much idiot proof.

Here's a view of the back side.

Attachments:

Oil Level Viewing Glass Query 8 years 7 months ago #9272

• Lucien-Harpress
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 108
REEEEEALLY dumb question- you're checking it while the bike is on the center stand, right?

Oil Level Viewing Glass Query 8 years 7 months ago #9273

• Tonto
  • Tonto's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 133
Thanks guys.
I know its a basic common sense thing: gravity should force the volume of fluid to settle and be visible in the glass: I had the clutch cover off for polishing whilst I stripped the clutch and had checked the sight glass, and all looked nice and clean with no obstruction.

I had read the sight glass on main stand and with a mate holding the bike off main stand but 100% upright (as Ducati used to recommend) - I guess when I refill her with an accurate measured volume, I'll see what appears in the sight glass :unsure: :unsure:

Cheers Tim
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without the loss of enthusiasm " Winston Churchill.

Oil Level Viewing Glass Query 8 years 7 months ago #9275

• aus_z1300
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 21
Did you run the engine for a while and recheck the level when you did the change as it takes a while to pump it all through .

Oil Level Viewing Glass Query 8 years 7 months ago #9276

• Lucien-Harpress
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 108
^That sounds more likely. You may have filled it, and it pooled around the sump and sight glass. Once you run it a bit, the oil pump fills in all the nooks and crannys, and you end up with a lower reading.

Keep an eye on it as you run it. If it gets to a point where you no longer need oil (after a couple of rides), you're fine. If not, you may have to do some digging.

Time to create page: 0.085 seconds