Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Wrong CCT? 8 years 6 months ago #9014

• globemaster
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 55
Backwards? Not really. I was referring to the items in the first photo posted by brandonsmash. Sorry for the confusion.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Wrong CCT? 8 years 6 months ago #9016

• globemaster
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
brandonsmash, It seems there is still some confusion about this problem. Allow me to clarify:

In the original photo you posted, the part at the top is the correct ZX 1100 Cam chain tensioner - Kawasaki part #12048-1113. That is the cam chain tensioner you want to use.

Again, referring to your original photo, the part at the bottom is the timing chain tensioner. Obviously removed by mistake. Incidentally, a common problem.

The following is what needs to be done:
1. Replace the timing chain tensioner on the engine.
2. Refer to the photo posted by kza13. The tensioner lowest on the cylinder block is the cam chain tensioner. The one in his photo is a ZX 1100 tensioner. Someone has replaced the original tensioner. Remove that tensioner from your engine.
3. Install the new ZX 1100 tensioner and a new ZX 1100 gasket - Kawasaki part #11009-1858.

Hope this helps.

Wrong CCT? 8 years 6 months ago #9018

• Mark
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 27
Cam Chain Tensioner part no 12048-1113 parts advise it fits a ZG1000 concours 86-2006. This might be another option already posted about this one recently
17 years a Z13 owner at present 3 x A1's and an A4

Wrong CCT? 8 years 6 months ago #9026

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027

globemaster wrote: Backwards? Not really. I was referring to the items in the first photo posted by brandonsmash. Sorry for the confusion.

I'm also sorry for the correction Globemaster.

One of my pet peeves is miscommunication that happens when we talk about things. We tend to talk about items and name items based on generic terms rather than by their proper names. For the old mechanics out there the "timing chain " on an engine was the camshaft drive chain. This topic was all about a CCT but then the timing chain got involved in the topic and then pics of the 2 items and descriptions of the 2 noting the "upper one" and the "lower one" in relation to pictures and not the position on the engine. An honest mistake and to be truthful I'm glad we hammered out "what we are talking about" since the poster is asking for help because he doesn't know which is which and all of us in the know are directing him in 2 different directions.

I'm going to have nightmares about "CCT" tonight.

Wrong CCT? 8 years 6 months ago #9027

• globemaster
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
No problem, my friend. We share a common pet peeve about communication and correct terms. I screwed up by not specifically referencing the first photo. Believe it or not, the second photo, was posted while I was typing my response. Thus, when I hit the submit button, my post appeared immediately after the second photo.

I have nightmares about the CCT at least once a week.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.073 seconds