Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Big Bore Kit help 8 years 7 months ago #8834

• Lucien-Harpress
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 108
When you put everything back together, run zip ties on the piston rings to compress them. Getting the bores on is still a PITA, but it's a lot easier than having to deal with the rings as well.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Big Bore Kit help 8 years 7 months ago #8835

• Ledkz1300
  • Ledkz1300's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 76
Thanks!

I just opened a couple of the boxes and there appears to be no specs inside the boxes. I'm fairly certain they are the dame kit used by others here because the boxes and printing look identical.

Big Bore Kit help 8 years 7 months ago #8840

• Tyler
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 46
Someone here can help you with the clearance specs. I used forged pistons so the method of fitment is completely different.

Hose clamps work to hold the rings, large zip ties would do just fine too. I had two other people help me put the cylinder bank over the poisons. It's a very tedious process. You must be very careful our you can break a ring, or even damage a ring groove in the piston... Plan out each step before you do it. Take your time and read this section in the manual several times.
1981 KZ1300

Last edit: by Tyler.

Big Bore Kit help 8 years 7 months ago #8841

• Lucien-Harpress
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 108
Your mileage may vary on if you want to risk your studs as well, but when my dad helped with mine, he popped a pair of vice grips on a stud, low enough to slip the bores over two of the cylinders, but high enough to clear the two right below it. That way, you don't have to worry about dropping the bores too far, and it's less to worry about.

Also, feel free to drop the cam chain down into the cases while you're doing this. You can fish it out afterward with a magnet, and the way the bottom end is set up, there's no way to lose it. Again, one less thing to worry about.

Big Bore Kit help 8 years 7 months ago #8845

• brandonsmash
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 8
I had a buddy helping me. We worked the bore down over each side one ring at a time, compressing the rings with our fingers. It was tedious, but ultimately worked.
Cut to approximate, smash to fit!

Big Bore Kit help 8 years 7 months ago #8868

• Ledkz1300
  • Ledkz1300's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 76
I'm filing this all away for future reference. Thanks.

On a different note, I got the 79 running today. I had no spark. Traced it back to the faulty engine shut off switch. Good thing the 81 has a good switch. Now to fix the damned starter button.

Time to create page: 0.096 seconds