• Page:

TOPIC:

Engine storage? 8 years 9 months ago #7770

• McZed
  • McZed's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 26
I have come into possession of a complete 1300 engine; I couldn’t refuse at the price I was offered it for.
I don’t really need it at the moment, my big old Z is running pretty sweetly for now, but you never know with a 35 year old engine. So my problem is this. What would be the best way to store the spare engine? Do I strip it down and store the parts, or am I better to leave it in one piece. Any advice would be gratefully received.
Z1300 UK

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Engine storage? 8 years 9 months ago #7771

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lifelong Rider Suffering Through MBD
  • Thank you received: 274
Hi MZ,
I'd drain the carbs and squirt some oil in the plug holes. Alternately, you could mount it on a stand, get it to run and put it on display in my family room. :woohoo:
The choice is yours. B)
Bill
1947 Indian Chief, 1968 BSA Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 Kawasaki W3, 1976 KZ900 A4, 1979 KZ750 B4, 1979 KZ750 B4 Trike, 1980 KZ550, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 1985 Kawasaki ZN1300, 1987 Yamaha Trail Way, 2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer, 1981 GL 1100, 2009 Yamaha RoadLiner S

Last edit: by KZQ.

Engine storage? 8 years 9 months ago #7774

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027
Lets not forget to dump the crankcase oil and if it was me, I'd put in fresh oil. Used engine oil has acids in it from the combustion process and of course there's additives in the oil to neutralize them but for the purposes of long term storage, it's always best to store it with fresh oil. Also remember that there's also additives in the engine oil to keep the seals soft so they will do their job.

Had a second thought. While your dumping the crankcase oil don't forget to empty out the oil filter housing. You could reassemble it without a filter, but if you do, tag the engine to remind yourself that there's no filter in it.

Last edit: by Kawboy.

Engine storage? 8 years 9 months ago #7775

• Lucien-Harpress
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 108
Plug the intake and exhaust ports. WELL. Most cylinders should be fine, but there will always be one or two with a valve open. Get ANY kind of moisture in there, and that cylinder is toast (found that out the hard way on what I thought was a good donor engine).

It helps if you turn the motor over a couple times on a semi-regular basis, to keep everything free and moving.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.120 seconds