• Page:

TOPIC:

Voyager 1300 cooling fan will fit on a KZ1300? 8 years 10 months ago #7738

• kennyb
  • kennyb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 8
I was curious will a Voyager 1300 fan fit a KZ1300?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Voyager 1300 cooling fan will fit on a KZ1300? 8 years 10 months ago #7743

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029

The short answer, yes it could be made to fit.
When I first joined the forum, I went to the FAQ section to learn about the issues that owners have had with the KZ1300. seeing the cooling issues, I started looking for alternate fans to assist with the cooling issues and eventually purchased a fan for the ZN1300 (Voyager) As you can see in the pic, the fan sizes are about the same, yet the blade sizes are slightly different and obviously the blades on the ZN1300 fan number 7 as to the opposed 4 of the KZ1300 fan. That being said, the real question is whether or not the ZN fan moves more air. So I did a little test by mounting the fans in a vise and powered up each fan with a 12V battery.
The answer is yes, the ZN1300 fan moves more air than the KZ fan when free standing in a vise. My best guess is 20-30% more air being moved, but I hesitate to qualify this question since the fans are mounted behind the rads and PULL the air through the fins of the rad. From an engineering stand point, it's much easier to PUSH air than it is to pull air.

I plan on mounting the ZN fan on my bike just because I want to see if it turns out to be an improvement. I'm also going to coat the inside of my exhaust system with a heat barrier coating made by Eastwood. That should reduce the radiant heat from the pipes and keep the exhaust temperatures hotter until the exhaust exits the pipe which also assists with performance of the header system. Another area which probably needs to be addressed is the thermostat. There are some fitment issues which affect the circulation of the coolant and a passing thermostat will actually cause overheating, so I plan on looking at that issue as well.

Something that never seems to be discussed is the internals of the rad. People never seem to change out their coolant as part of preventative maintenance and that's an issue. There are additives in the coolant to minimize corrosion and neutralize the PH of the system. Eventually, the additive package will neutralize and become non-effective, and then we see deposits build up in the rads and start blocking off the passages. Lets remember that our rads are 35 years old. Should we be doing some inspecting and possibly rad flushing??

Bottom line, after reviewing ALL of the issues regarding overheating, it's my belief that updating the fan to "something else" other than the stock fan is putting a band aid on the problem and not necessarily fixing the problem.
Attachments:

Voyager 1300 cooling fan will fit on a KZ1300? 8 years 10 months ago #7746

• globemaster
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 55
The Voyager 1300 fan and fan motor is a direct swap into the KZ1300 fan/motor mounting bracket.

Voyager 1300 cooling fan will fit on a KZ1300? 8 years 10 months ago #7755

• Mellvis
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Is the Voyager radiator the same as the KZ1300? Would that be a swap that would make an improvement and be a "bolt in" option? Not familiar at all with this.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.089 seconds