Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

zn1300 gas in oil 9 years 1 week ago #6787

• candp
  • candp's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
got a new to me 84 zn1300 the other day 38000 miles,oil glass full,went to change found gas diluted oil,had oil warning lit on dash.anybody got a orderly flow of fix it before i change filter and oil?will start with turning fuel off.help guys thanks cecil

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

zn1300 gas in oil 9 years 1 week ago #6788

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027
The only way the gas got in the oil would have been past the piston rings. It's possible that sitting on the side stand with the fuel left on allowed the fuel to flow in through the intake and down past the piston rings.

first, dump the oil and change the oil filter.

Next you need to confirm that the cylinders are empty of fuel, because if you don't and try to start, you'll bend a connecting rod caused by a hydraulic lock on a cylinder with a lot of fuel in it. So, you need to pull all the spark plugs and turn the engine over and blow out any fuel remaining in the cylinder (s).

I would suggest that if any fuel blows out of a spark plug hole (s), you should next squirt about a teaspoon of oil down that cylinder and turn the engine over for about 15 seconds to lubricate the cylinder walls and piston rings since a cylinder full of fuel would have washed the oil off of the cylinder walls.

After all of that, you can replace the spark plugs and start the bike. It will smoke for a short time till the excess oil burns off of the cylinder (s) that you put oil into, but you should be fine.

At some point you need to understand how you managed to flood out a cylinder. We've seen o rings in the carburetors which seal the float needle seat in to the carb body passing and that could be your problem, or it could be a piece of dirt/debris stuck in the needle seat. Either way, you need to figure that problem out.

Hope this helps,
Kawboy

Last edit: by Kawboy. Reason: Had a moment of stupidity

zn1300 gas in oil 9 years 1 week ago #6798

• Phil
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • 1984 ZG1300-A1 DFI
  • Thank you received: 144
It sounds like you have one or more dirty injectors, which means that they remain partially open when the engine's shut down allowing fuel to dribble into the inlet tracts. You could try some injector cleaner in the fuel but if it was me I'd take the injectors out & send them to a company that cleans & flows them. In the meantime if you're still using the bike I'd turn the fuel tap off everytime you shut the engine down.
Only dead fish go with the flow

zn1300 gas in oil 9 years 1 week ago #6803

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027
Good catch Phil. I didn't realize the ZN1300 were all injected. Agreed, there's a dirty injector in there stuck open. Phil's right, pull the injectors and get them cleaned and flow checked. There's tiny pintle filters in them about 3/32" diameter and 1/4" long that can get clogged up. Injector cleaner will deal with the varnish, but ultimately those pintle filters will need to be changed. Also would be a good time to change the fuel filter.

Still, all the other things I mentioned to deal with the gas in the cylinder need to be done.

zn1300 gas in oil 9 years 1 week ago #6818

• candp
  • candp's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
can injectors be removed one at a time,or whole throttle body and rail removed as a whole then remove injectors?thks c

zn1300 gas in oil 9 years 1 week ago #6828

• Phil
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • 1984 ZG1300-A1 DFI
  • Thank you received: 144
I took the throttle bodies & fuel rail off as a unit when I was doing an engine top-end refresh on my ZG a few years ago. From memory things were made much easier by removing the upper airbox, I'd imagine the set-up would be similar on the ZN. Whoever cleans & flows your injectors should replace the little filters on the injector inlets as well. When mine came back the bike ran so much better. I'd also recommend replacing the hoses between the fuel rail & injectors as they will be past their best. Kawasaki crimped them on but they're quite easy to get off & replace with new hose with & a hose clip at either end.
Just found a pic that I took of the throttle bodies & fuel rail as a unit, it shows the hoses replaced that I was talking about:

Only dead fish go with the flow
The following user(s) said Thank You: candp

Last edit: by Phil.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.093 seconds