• Page:

TOPIC:

High beam indicator light 9 years 5 months ago #4966

• kennyb
  • kennyb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 8
Hello I recently installed a switch to manually turn off my headlight for ease of starting etc. I removed the reserve lighting unit and jumped the blue to the blue yellow wire. The headlight out indicator doesn't light up but the high beam indicator stays on when I have the headlight off. BTW I am interrupting the ground as recommended in the FAQ section. Anyone run across this and figure out a work around?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

High beam indicator light 9 years 5 months ago #5066

• ntaylor111
  • Thank you received: 3
Well.. looking at the headlight circuit (see attached) and understanding the switch you installed - your stuck. The blue/yel will feed power thru the dimmer switch to the headlight lamp. If the dimmer switch is set to "Hi" then the Red/blk will have power and the high beam indicator will be on. If the dimmer switch is set to "Lo" then power will flow thru Red/yel, thru the headlight lamp low element to high element and again onto Red/Blk and turning on high beam indicator.

One way to solve the issue is to disconnect the Blk/Yel wire at indicator cluster from vehicle harness and connect it to your switch at headlight ground side. When switch is open then "No headlight or indicators" because of no ground path, when switch is closed your grounding both headlight and indicator and all will work. :)
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: kennyb

High beam indicator light 9 years 5 months ago #5067

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 830
I installed a headlight "OFF" switch years ago. (1980 KZ1300) I used a "double-pole/single throw" switch to interrupt the High and Low beam "+" power. The double-pole feature keeps the two circuits separate in the "mind" of the reserve unit. Only interrupting the headlight "Ground" did not work (on mine). Configured this way: When the switch is used to turn the headlight OFF, the reserve headlight warning indicator (white) is on. This method allowed me to retain the reserve lighting function as intended. Hope this helps.
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !
The following user(s) said Thank You: kennyb

High beam indicator light 9 years 5 months ago #5080

• kennyb
  • kennyb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 8
Thanks guys :) I will take a look at it later in the season one of my winter to do things.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.078 seconds