• Page:

TOPIC:

Batteries 9 years 7 months ago #4447

• scotch
  • scotch's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 831
First: I'm not against running a $200.00+ battery. For those that have an Odyssey in their 1300 and are happy with that - GREAT! No question it's THE battery to have. Just want to make certain I'm not offending anyone before I continue! So:
I'll never deny I've had my issues, as we all have. When I rolled the bike into my shop last year to sort out some hard-start/rough idle concerns I had a web-site up and running and was ready to order an "Odyssey" battery. My personal experience as with others was if the bike didn't start within the first few seconds - it wouldn't start at all on a cheap battery and my cheap battery simply didn't have the reserve-power to do any more. The thought was(is by some): If one has a higher capacity battery it must start (eventually), right? Not necessarily! Attempts at "boosting" proved this a fallacy in my case. It still would not start. As I have discovered in the past also, endless cranking-over created problems with my starter-solenoid not to mention the wear and tear on the starter-motor and the starter-clutch! So I decided to check-out some carb.-idle-circuit concerns before dropping the coin on an "Odyssey". The time taken to completely disassemble and clean the carb's (several times!) proved worth-while. As we have all heard countless times ( from myself included - CLEAN the CARBS). The difference is remarkable! I submitted a fuel-line mod which I did last winter at the same time. Having an insulated tank-bottom and strait-forward simple fuel delivery is of enormous benefit too, especially on hot days and removes one more issue from the equation. ( along with "coils" and some of the other "standard" fixes.
So as far as batteries go: I'm running my 2nd year on a "Wal-Mart" $69.00 battery and the bike starts with no choke at the touch of the starter button - every time.
My point is: If the bike won't start easily with a cheap battery it is worth while dealing with the real problem(s.
This forum is of infinite help to those just getting baptized into the world of 1300's so don't despair! You will eventually be successful and the rewards are worth the time and effort. Use this forum and don't be afraid ask for help.
Those of us who have had our 13's for some time have ALL been through the "maze" and we know what you're going through !
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by scotch. Reason: clarity

Batteries 9 years 7 months ago #4453

• Toddh
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 65
Scotch:

Couldn't agree more with your post. Fuel delivery and a clean idle circuit on the 1300 are the biggest headaches to initially get straight.

Once dialed in, the starter, starter clutch, and certainly the battery will have a much easier life.

Speaking of batteries: I asked a local Kawasaki dealership what type of battery does he sell with the least amount of warranty issues. He stated a name-brand AGM is the battery type, that will usually provide the best service life.

Regards.

Todd.
KZ1300 A-4 4TH 1300 IN 30 YEARS
KZ1000 D-3/ Z1R
ZX900 GPZ A-3
KZ750 E-1
K1200GT
CB750F 1978

Batteries 9 years 7 months ago #4454

• aus_z1300
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 21
I give up on lead acid batteries years ago i discovered ssb ulta performance agm batteries at half the price of some of the big name brands with more cca.
I have never looked back I can leave a bike for months without trickle charging or starting it and I have one I have flattened a few times due to regulator issues and it is still working great.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.075 seconds