TOPIC:

Starter Motor destroyed itself today !!!!!!!!!! 9 years 7 months ago #4121

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
Bad luck with the starter mate.

Its not a Kawasaki Part, its one they bought in for the Z1300 from a starter motor manufacturer.
It was also used on other Jap bikes.
I am sure its the same as early Suzuki GS series & other large Kawasakis, so worth looking around
You stand chance of getting it cheaper if its from an old Suzuki as ask any breaker for anything off a Z1300 & they double the price.

Regards

Pete F
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Starter Motor destroyed itself today !!!!!!!!!! 9 years 7 months ago #4123

• kwak1261
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 72

zed_thirteen wrote: I wonder if your starter clutch wasn't slipping after starting?

i was thinking the same thing, would have made a hell of a lot of noise though.
Z1300 A4 ZG1300 DFI X2
Z1261J GS1000S
Vmax1200 XT500

Starter Motor destroyed itself today !!!!!!!!!! 9 years 7 months ago #4125

• Tonto
  • Tonto's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 133
Chaps, thanks for the tips re potential alternate Starter Motors: curently tracked a few down on the web: prices quoted ranged from £80-£140 shipped for used OEM units, and £120 - £300 for new replica / pattern units. So all in all, not good, but not too shocking.

I did speak to an electrics "guru": he thought that Kwak and Suzook used Mitsubishi units on certain models back in the late 70's - early 80's, but sadly could not find a replacement unit sprcified anywhere: I guess way too old.

Re noise: I was amazed there was not a hell of a screaching: but nothing at all !
But, I did have slipping sterter clutch issues about 3 months ago, and there was some noise coming from what I assumed then, was the starter clutch. But after fitting the replacement unit all has been OK, and she's been running spot on with no issues; that was until yesterday.

Fingers crossed that when the replacement unit goes in, it never happens again. ;)
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without the loss of enthusiasm " Winston Churchill.

Starter Motor destroyed itself today !!!!!!!!!! 9 years 7 months ago #4209

• wrgoo56
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 14
I am going to tell you something I found when I was looking for front brake parts. The 1000kz police bike is a heavy bike useing a lot of the same parts as the KZ 1300 does. they where still making the KZ1000 police in 1991 and the started looks just like the one in the 1300 just a diffrent part number. It would be worth a look cause you can still get the OEM unit from Bike bandit.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.099 seconds