Username: Password: Remember me
Electrical
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Engine shuts down intermittently 9 years 8 months ago #4108

• ByronG
  • ByronG's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
I have an intermittent technical issue with my 1983 Z1300 DFI that has only started in the last week or so. Basically what happens is:

The engine shuts down when slowing down or changing down gears for a stop sign, traffic lights or corner

Engine only stop when the clutch is pulled in. That is it still keeps running fine until the clutch is pulled in.

The engine stops and Ignition red light comes on.

The engine easily jump starts again when the clutch is let out again or turned over with the starter motor and then runs and idles fine even when the clutch is pulled in again.

Only seems to happen when the engine is warmed up (after about 30mins running).

Does not happen all the time, only intermittently. Approximately every 5 minutes or so.

I have tried to narrow down the circumstances when it happens, but there appears to be no real pattern to it.

I initially thought it was something to do with the indicator flashers as it seemed to happen only when the indicators were on, but it has since happened without them being on.

I have also thought it could be something to do with either the clutch, front brake or rear brake sensor switches.

Have also thought it could be something to do with the DFI or fuel pump systems?

Has anyone got any ideas or know someone that might be able to help?

Best regards,

ByronG

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Engine shuts down intermittently 9 years 8 months ago #4110

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
I am not that UP on the DFI models (more carb models) so not 100% aware of wiring but I would allocate the wiring from the CLUTCH switch unit near the lever (normally 2 wires) & trace them back to the main harness.
Make a tempry BRIDGE wire piece between the 2 connections on the harness & see if that makes any difference ?
That way you at least eliminate the switch as the issue.

Pete F
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?
The following user(s) said Thank You: ByronG

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.057 seconds