• Page:

TOPIC:

Running/signal/brake/instrument LED conversion 9 years 11 months ago #2834

• scotch
  • scotch's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 830
Further to my LED conversion: I FINALLY received the two back-ordered 1157 LED's and the "Electronic LED Flasher". With the 1156 and 1157 LED's installed the flasher will NOT work. All four simply ar "
ON" .....and the four-ways flash like a strobe ! I actually opened the flasher up to confirm it wasn't some mechanical type and it is fully electronic. S.M.T.in this one, so there's no practical way of adjusting values by substituting different components. So, ironically i'm back to LED's on the front Running/signals and Filament for the rear signals. The LED's in the tail/brake-light are great ! I'm not interested in splicing load-resistors. To many concerns about too many connections and heat from the resistors melting things ( as I've read in other forums.) Otherwise: more then satisfactory.
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Running/signal/brake/instrument LED conversion 9 years 11 months ago #2835

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
Sorry for the delay! I wouldn't worry about the bulb covers for the instruments/gauges. Personally I can't see their advantage. With 360 degrees of light from the instrument LED's, covers are not wanted as you want to use every bit of internally reflected light to back-light the face-plates. The covers (tunnels) for the signal indicators should be used !

Running/signal/brake/instrument LED conversion 9 years 11 months ago #2836

• kza13
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 97

scotch wrote: The covers (tunnels) for the signal indicators should be used !

yeh they are a tad bright :-)
after tuesday even the calendar goes WTF
1979 KAWASAKI Z1300 A1 WITH A DJP SIDECAR
Frame No: KZT3OA003911
Engine No: KZT3OAE004153

Running/signal/brake/instrument LED conversion 9 years 11 months ago #2856

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
re: your question about the tin covers etc. I had suggested that you not worry about them so the light can reflect 360 degrees within the housing. In hind-site I'm taking a step back. Those tin covers may actually be necessary to dissipate the heat from the bulbs! Although small, they are non the less capable of getting hot. (Not so much the signal indicators) As to which way they are oriented: The notch should align with a corresponding tab at each position. The angle shown is how they came out of my mine - otherwise untouched. If you are going to reinstall the shields I would consider using some metal polish to see if you can shine-up the reflective side. They are retained in position over the raised "lip" with some contact-adhesive.

Hope this helps more, Cheers.
Attachments:

Last edit: by scotch.

Running/signal/brake/instrument LED conversion 9 years 11 months ago #2866

• kza13
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 97
Yeh knew about the notch, the thing I was wondering about was the shape of the top piece, a set of gauges I have looks like someone has bent the tops and was wondering what shape they were suppose to be, got a spare set of gauges and the tubes look like they haven't been "modified", just have to get the others back to the proper shape, guess the thought is to use the inside white case to defuse the light??, cheers

after tuesday even the calendar goes WTF
1979 KAWASAKI Z1300 A1 WITH A DJP SIDECAR
Frame No: KZT3OA003911
Engine No: KZT3OAE004153
Attachments:

Last edit: by kza13.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.089 seconds