TOPIC:

Temp sender 10 years 1 month ago #1636

• kwak1261
  • kwak1261's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 72
A few questions

how reliable is the temp sender, what temp does a z1300 run at ?
got it running nicely today but the temp was right up and the rad was cold.
removed the stat, try again ( with the small waterways in the engine is a thermostat really necessary )
temp was right up again, with a warm rad, i have fitted a new fan switch and the fan works when the wire is shorted to the head but the fan didnt come on

Deductions
either new fan switch is buggered or
temp sender is a liar and engine not getting hot enough. didnt want to keep it running for too long to find out.

cam timing is good, must have checked it four times when putting the engine together, then replaced the cams and did it all again
im gonna remove the fan switch and boil it, gas mark 3 i think

Ian
Z1300 A4 ZG1300 DFI X2
Z1261J GS1000S
Vmax1200 XT500

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Temp sender 10 years 1 month ago #1641

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
Ian,

If you touch the wire from your FAN SWITCH on your engine or frame, your fan should cut in immediately.......even with ignition off.

If it dont, then its probably your FAN RELAY which is the metal one beside your battery. If not a fuse or bad wiring at worst.

You can use any regular common relay to replace this as its just a regular relay.

The FAN SWITCHES on 1300's are not good & often die........and are hard & expensive to find.
I tend to remove the water inlet manifold they are in, remove the switch & drill the hole out to 16mm & re-tap then use a £5 common fan sensor from EBAY....simplz !

The standard 1300 UK Spec switch activates at around 95 to 100. The switch from the Touring 1300 or Voyager kicks in at 85.......which is much better as it keeps engine cooler.

TEMP SENSORS are more reliable & last longer, but other than for the gauge, you dont need it.

In the UK, thermostat not 100% necessary especially in summer.

Hope that helps........but id not ask the question on the UK Owners Site.......and you should get a reply by August !!

Pete F
UK
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?

Temp sender 10 years 1 month ago #1643

• kwak1261
  • kwak1261's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 72
Pete
thanks for superfast response, im still trying to catch up.
forgot to mention fan relay works, but i will change it for a later 30 amp relay
i will test the new switch, i like the idea of a cooler running engine and a lower temp fan switch, ill look into that
ive done the same thing on my V8 Land Rover and my Jeep.
ive got a new stat coming but ill leave it in the box for now
thanks for the info, more shopping to do.

Ian
Z1300 A4 ZG1300 DFI X2
Z1261J GS1000S
Vmax1200 XT500

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.066 seconds