• Page:

TOPIC:

Ignition Timing on A5 Z1300 - Australia 7 years 9 months ago #13643

• Yaegunp
  • Yaegunp's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 32
Pretty sure I know the answer but wanted to check with the other forum members - If the timing is not within spec on the A5 my understanding is you either have to replace the pickup coils for low speed and/or change the IC Igniter for high speed and there is no way to adjust timing like pre 1982 models
1983 Z1300 A5 plus Sidecar.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Ignition Timing on A5 Z1300 - Australia 7 years 8 months ago #13647

• hillsy
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 25
I couldn't really tell you any technical details, but if the pick up coils "failed" wouldn't they just not work?. I'm struggling to understand how they would send a delayed signal?

I guess it's possible to use an offset woodruff key on the rotor to advance / retard the ignition timing - but no idea is anyone sells these or what size they are.

I guess that's the other thing to check - that the rotor is mounted correctly and not off by a few degrees.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Yaegunp

Ignition Timing on A5 Z1300 - Australia 7 years 8 months ago #13653

• LareNurminen
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 162
The pick-ups are standard magnetic trigger coils, the ignition advancing is done inside the igniter unit. The ignition advance curve is preset and can not be changed. If you want to adjust the ignition curve, you have to get a programmable ignitin unit that suits the pick-ups. Getting the advance curve right will reqire time in tuning bench with integrated mixture control.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Yaegunp

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.056 seconds