Electrical
  • Page:

TOPIC:

1300 voyager charging system (1986) 8 years 4 months ago #10166

• caddypat
  • caddypat's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
hi all. i couldnt find this specific conversation so i am asking for help.i have a 1986 voyager that rather slowly lost charging capacity. i kept the batt. charged via a charger for a few months.the problem finally got bad enough i couldnt get more than a mile from home before it didnt run right. after digging into the system i found the right side stator connection to voltage regulator/rectifier completly melted and burned up.after getting the mess cut out i tested both stators. left and right stators have infinite ohm readings to ground and the right stator puts out 63.7volts ac @4000 rpm on all three legs. also the right stator has .3ohms resistance from leg to leg. the left side stator readings very close to the same except it puts out 73.2 volts ac @ 4000 rpm. i have changed the right side regulator with two different units but i dont know their history. they were with the two 88 voyagers i picked up. with both regulators the system charges @ 13.2 to 13.7 volts dc but the three stator wires at the regulator connection get blistering hot in about 2min run time.the left side wires do not get hot or even warm. do i have a stator problem or a regulator problem or what.i have about exhausted my limited skills and knowledge. thx pat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1300 voyager charging system (1986) 8 years 4 months ago #10183

• caddypat
  • caddypat's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
hello again, after much reading and checking i finally figured this out. the by the book test shows the regulator to be fine.the culprit seems to be the spade connectors.i have used them successfully for years, but never in this high an amperage application.someone else put them in and dumb me thought that was acceptable.i twisted the wires together and heat problem went away. i am going to solder them and heat shrink and problem solved. thx pat.

1300 voyager charging system (1986) 8 years 4 months ago #10185

• kwak1261
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 72
glad you got it sorted, soldering is the best option, less resistance and no corrosion issues.
Z1300 A4 ZG1300 DFI X2
Z1261J GS1000S
Vmax1200 XT500
The following user(s) said Thank You: caddypat

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds