• Page:

TOPIC:

HEI ignition? 10 years 5 months ago #708

• Mikez
  • Mikez's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 14
Here's some pics of my setup. The last pic my bike is the grey one and is the most up-to date pic of my bike that I took last week. The other bike is in my garage too but not mine I'm taking care of it for a friend.

I've been removing all the yellow paint and putting layers of primer down :).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

HEI ignition? 10 years 5 months ago #710

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
Dear me...........that looks like a lot of bother just for coils !!!

You need to establish where any wires TO & FROM these modules originate in case they have been changed for these coils.

This is what you need to check.

1). You have the BLUE GREEN BLACK & YELLOW wires coming out of harness near the position of the standard coils at rear of headstock. They will have bullet connections.

2). Check the micro block connector FROM the round pick up module into the CDI & make sure it has not been cut or changed.

3). Check the other LARGE block connector to the CDI unit. This should have BLACK/GREEN/BLUE/BLACK&YELLOW/RED&YELLOW wires

As long as you have all of these in place & they are not re-routed or butchered, then the AW82 conversion should not be a problem.

Keep us updated !

Pete F
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?

HEI ignition? 10 years 5 months ago #711

• Mikez
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Will do thanks!

Yeah it seems like this bike's last rider put alot of effort into wiring those HEI modules. I can't imagine how hard it would have been cutting that aluminum plate and getting all the fittings and wiring together. Maybe the ingitor went bad and he couldn't find a suitable (or cheap) replacement?

I'm still waiting on my coils in the mail too btw :(. I called the bike breaker yesterday and even though they got their money for it 2 weeks ago they still hadn't sent them out. Apparently they didn't know I had sent the shipping address in the paypal transaction and they just didn't say anything & forgot about it.

Hopefully I'll get them by next week. I'm hoping that I'll get a better spark from those coils than from the GM ones.

HEI ignition? 10 years 4 months ago #712

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
Hey Mike,

We will get you there dont worry !!

The spark from the AW82's is perfect for our 1300's & makes a noticeable difference in starting / idle / acceleration & even MPG so its well worth doing. I have carried out the conversion on all my own 1300's over the years & many on other 1300'sowners bikes too.

The original coils are terrible & offer a very weak spark. I was not aware the GM Coil swap was such a carry on & know a lot of USA owners carried it out in the past.

Pete F
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?

HEI ignition? 10 years 3 months ago #1351

• Mikez
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Hi again folks! Wanted to shoot a quick question to see if anyone was willing to tell me if this was a good idea or not :).

Does anyone think that this HEI setup would be worth anything if I took it off the bike and listed it on Ebay? I'm considering swapping this setup for an original igniter to keep things simple and I think it'll look nicer. If an HEI setup like this can recoup the cost of an Ebay igniter, I'm thinking this might be worth a shot :). Thanks all!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.087 seconds