• Page:

TOPIC:

Spade connectors in any of the "molex" blocks 8 years 8 months ago #8180

• scotch
  • scotch's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 830
I think I've mentioned this before but moments ago while doing a cursory inspection of connectors I came across this concern again which I believe is more common than some might think. This issue has happened to me several times over the years - fortunately without serious consequences.
Whether Male or Female, what locks the terminals securely in the plastic block is a small "tang" on each of the connectors. I believe that repeated plugging-in and unplugging of any plug-block can flatten this tab enough to allow that terminal to be pushed backwards when the two connector-block pairs are pushed together. This could be critical to a sensitive component such as the ignitor or the voltage regulator if that particular terminal isn't making a full connection. This little locking tab on each wire terminal can be gently lifted (or raised) with a fingernail or small thin flat blade screw-driver. The terminal can then be reinserted from the rear of the plastic block and if you listen carefully you may even hear a "click" as that tang springs back up, inside the plastic block. At any rate if there is any doubt, separate the two halves and pull each wire (as if pulling the wire backwards out of the block. If the wire (and connector) comes out - that may be the source of your problem or potential problem.

1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kawboy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Spade connectors in any of the "molex" blocks 8 years 8 months ago #8182

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027
TOTALLY AGREE !! Happened to me more times than not. I always plug the blocks together and then look at the back side to see if any of the wires have backed out. Doing the "pull test" is going one better than my way. Who knows what happens after you plug it together and then tuck it out of the way.

Good one Scotch!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: scotch

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.107 seconds