Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Electrical

TOPIC:

engine not turning over 8 years 9 months ago #8173

• longjon
  • longjon's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
I have had this 1980 1300 for several month and finally put the battery in and am trying to turn the engine over before I put the tank on and put fuel in.

I have a service manual but no owners manual. I have the switch by left leg on and the main switch on, have lights, emergency flashers, horn but no turn signals and when I hit the start button nothing. Which position does the key go in? Do I need the clutch lever in. I've tried all combinations and no starter engagement.
Also what is the narrow switch beside the emergency flash switch.

thanks for your replies

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

engine not turning over 8 years 9 months ago #8174

• zed_thirteen
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 137
Hi, if you haven't already done so - put the bike on the side stand and remove the right hand crank cover and turn the engine over by hand in a clockwise direction. There might be some oil leakage while doing this.

Then the key switch under the seat needs to be in the horizontal position before you turn on the main ignition switch.

To start the clutch lever does need to be pulled in (and kill switch to "Run" - obviously) - well it does on the 1980 model at least.
1980 KZ1300 B2 Touring/A2
1990 ZZ-R1100 C1
The following user(s) said Thank You: longjon

engine not turning over 8 years 9 months ago #8190

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
Interesting, The Service Manual shows a Starter lockout switch and references it being in the base of the clutch lever. I just went out to the shop and had a look at mine and the clutch lever base has a 12mm bore down near the pivot pin where the lockout switch would go, but mine doesn't have a switch. The wiring diagram shows it as being "normally open". It has 2 black wires with a white tracer. If your bike has this switch, it WOULD require the clutch lever to be pulled to close the circuit and allow the starter circuit to energize.

It could be stuck in from lack of clutch movement (sitting for a long time) If you pull on the clutch level you should see a small pin in between the clutch lever base and the clutch lever. Try pushing it in towards the clutch base. It should pop out when the clutch lever is pulled.

My bike is a 1980 KZ1300 B2 (converting to an A2 )

engine not turning over 8 years 9 months ago #8195

• longjon
  • longjon's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
yes the bike has a started lockout switch as per Page 144 of the manual. I removed it and its in the extend position, as in clutch lever pulled, but same result, no starter noise, The key just has to be in the ON position, first click to right, not all the way to over to right?

Can I download a owners manual from this sight?

Last edit: by longjon.

engine not turning over 8 years 9 months ago #8197

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
After you open up the manual, just save a copy to your computer. I have a hard copy in the garage, but when I'm looking for information when conversing on the forum, I open up my electronic copy to find answers.

engine not turning over 8 years 9 months ago #8203

• AERIAL0
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Are getting the lights on the panel re neutral and oil light on?

Time to create page: 0.066 seconds