Electrical

TOPIC:

Coil mounting 10 years 5 months ago #595

• Mikez
  • Mikez's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 14
I've got a question regarding how the original coils were mounted. When I got my bike earlier this year it already had GM coils and extra ballast resistors in it and I intend to mount some AW82-TRI coils soon. I just ordered a set from a bike breaker in Virginia :). Since the fiche and diagrams appear to be spotty on the subject, how are the original coils mounted on the bike? Were there brackets and bolts? Or do they bolt directly onto the frame? My bike appears to be missing all the hardware from the originals and I'm going to have to look at replacing it or mounting elsewhere. Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Coil mounting 10 years 5 months ago #596

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lifelong Rider Suffering Through MBD
  • Thank you received: 274
Golly Mike I don't remember how they perzactly mounted. I do know that one goes up between the frame tubes and the other two are strategically so that they must be removed to access the valve cover. :S

Sorry I couldn't offer more. I'm sure someone will come along soon with the information you need.

Bill
1947 Indian Chief, 1968 BSA Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 Kawasaki W3, 1976 KZ900 A4, 1979 KZ750 B4, 1979 KZ750 B4 Trike, 1980 KZ550, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 1985 Kawasaki ZN1300, 1987 Yamaha Trail Way, 2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer, 1981 GL 1100, 2009 Yamaha RoadLiner S

Coil mounting 10 years 5 months ago #597

• Mikez
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Thanks Bill!

On pg 49 of the manual all it says is to remove the nuts so I think it bolts directly in.

So unless someone else knows more it looks like those nuts and bolts are all I need. I don't have the originals, though, and the ones pictured look pretty specific.

Ebay searches came up dry. Would anyone happen to have a pair of these lying around? I'm sure someone that has done a GM coil swap or coil relocation has some. I'd be willing to pay for them through PayPal if needed :).

Coil mounting 10 years 5 months ago #598

• zoso
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 20
Mike

The original coils bolt directly on to the frame - there are no mounting brackets. There's not a hell of a lot of room though - they're very tightly packed in !!
Let me know if you need more info and I'll take a photo of them tomorrow and post it on here.

Cheers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mikez

Coil mounting 10 years 5 months ago #599

• Mikez
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
That's pretty much the verification I was looking for. Thanks!

Coil mounting 10 years 5 months ago #600

• Metric_454
  • Thank you received: 6
I'll take a picture, as mine were just recently separated and post it to help.

One picture shows the diagram for the coils. Notice the standoffs? Hexagon shaped pieces that space the coils from the plate in the headstock.

Thread rods extend through the plate (4) upwards and (2) downwards to mount the three coils with nuts.

The coil side of the stand-offs are mounted with Phillips (star) screws I believe.

Red circled holes are for the coils that hang upside down, yellow are for the one coil mounted on top.

Hope this helps
No matter where you go, there you are.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mikez

Last edit: by Metric_454.
Time to create page: 0.079 seconds