Username: Password: Remember me
Electrical

TOPIC:

12.5 volts charging draining battery. 8 years 6 months ago #9098

• RickG
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 95
I would not use an LED headlight (they have shown that they aren't very good on high beam as yet but probably will improve)but run an LED day running light and leave the headlight off. On my K1100 BMW I have installed a Narva plus 120% QI bulb and 2 small day runnung LEDs so as to give the alternator a fighting chance to actually charge. It has made a big difference to the headlight and charging.
Do you use LEDs in the instrument panel. There are many places on a bike that use small quantities of power that often don't need to run all the time, not so much on the early Z1300 but on the later DFI models it applies.
Live your life so that the Westbro Baptist Church will want to picket your funeral
Z1300 A1 x 2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12.5 volts charging draining battery. 8 years 6 months ago #9114

• Ledkz1300
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 76
LEDs will certainly cut down on the draw. I use them wherever I can. House, garage, vehicles.

12.5 volts charging draining battery. 8 years 6 months ago #9117

• rdbhere2
  • rdbhere2's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 9
I agree. All my kz1300 lights are led except the headlight. It really adds that extra power to the battery. My voltage regulator from Oregon Motorcycle Parts really did the trick in raising my charging voltage.

12.5 volts charging draining battery. 8 years 6 months ago #9123

• RickG
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 95
There is one thing that needs to be taken into consideration when using the LED spotlights and similsy headlight bulbs is that as they are switched on they put out massive electro magnetic radiation. (it appears that the cheaper the bulb the worse they are) I fitted a set to my BMW 730iL car and each time I turned the high beam on with the spots also turned on it absolutely killed the Electronic engine management ( I almost died myself thinking of $2500 ECUs etc) and it lost all its accumulated memory and the car ran like a dog for about 10 minutes before ir figured out the correct parameters for the engine. A lot of the european cars are prone and also I have heard that early mazda and Toyota EFI engines do the same so it may be wise to be cautious using them on the DFI models
Live your life so that the Westbro Baptist Church will want to picket your funeral
Z1300 A1 x 2

Last edit: by RickG.

12.5 volts charging draining battery. 8 years 6 months ago #9124

• rdbhere2
  • rdbhere2's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 9
Halogen headlights work fine but the new led headlight brightness is appealing.

Last edit: by rdbhere2.

12.5 volts charging draining battery. 8 years 6 months ago #9138

• Ledkz1300
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 76

RickG wrote: There is one thing that needs to be taken into consideration when using the LED spotlights and similsy headlight bulbs is that as they are switched on they put out massive electro magnetic radiation. (it appears that the cheaper the bulb the worse they are) I fitted a set to my BMW 730iL car and each time I turned the high beam on with the spots also turned on it absolutely killed the Electronic engine management ( I almost died myself thinking of $2500 ECUs etc) and it lost all its accumulated memory and the car ran like a dog for about 10 minutes before ir figured out the correct parameters for the engine. A lot of the european cars are prone and also I have heard that early mazda and Toyota EFI engines do the same so it may be wise to be cautious using them on the DFI models

Yes, this is true. I had a similar problem on my VW. When I turned the LED driving lights on it triggered massive RF interference with the stereo. I haven't considered what it could possibly do to a DFI model. I've been fine with mine.

It isn't the LED itself that actually cause the RFI, it is the power driver. LEDs that use Pulse Width Modulation are a common culprit. The current is regulated by the driver in a series of pulses for efficiency. This can cause interference.

You can use ferrite coils, also known as RFI choke, on your power leads. They are used often on USB cables, monitor cables etc. There are other methods as well but more complicated.

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds