Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

honda on a kawasaki site??? 7 years 6 months ago #14368

• 6cylinder
  • 6cylinder's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 13
nice bike, I love CBX's, I have a 900 f, I still like KZ 1300's the best..
millers auto electric
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

honda on a kawasaki site??? 7 years 6 months ago #14369

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
Had a handful of CBX1000s over the years and do like them as a 6 cylinder bike, but in my experience and opinion the 1300 is a better bike to ride and own.
Being 24 valve, the CBX needs to be revved a lot more to "make it go" and has a softer engine than the 1300.
The 1300 is easier and more relaxed to ride and pulls far better from lower revs in higher gears and is quieter being shaft drive, but for a bike with only 105 BHP the CBX still delivers and is a real nice experience to ride.

I would class the CBX as more of a sports bike in its day whilst the 1300 is a tourer.

If some of you think fitting the carbs back on a 1300 and setting them up is a "carry on"...........you want to try doing the same with the 6 carb set up on a CBX !!!.......

Pete F
UK
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?

Last edit: by strate6.

honda on a kawasaki site??? 7 years 6 months ago #14371

• Tonto
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 133
I do prefer riding the Zed and the sheer presence the Z13 has - but the CBX is a real nice ride and sounds stunning when ridden hard.

Ledkz1300 wrote: That looks to be in pretty decent shape. Does it run as it sits?

Yes, all electrics work fine, and the engine on this one runs superbly (genuine 16,000 miles) - cosmetically she's a mess - needs a full fork and brake rebuild, and lots of TLC and tidying up. I've got a new replica full exhaust system and mono shock to fit, which will make a huge difference.

I rebuilt one 18 months ago then sold her to a mate, and its run perfectly for him: wish I could say the same about my Z13 :pinch: :(
Here was my last effort: hope this one turns out as tidy

"Success consists of going from failure to failure without the loss of enthusiasm " Winston Churchill.
Attachments:

Last edit: by Tonto.

honda on a kawasaki site??? 7 years 6 months ago #14372

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
Lovely looking bike that but I just love the look of the earlier naked Z model more, as I do with the naked Z1300.

Pete F
UK
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?

honda on a kawasaki site??? 7 years 6 months ago #14375

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lifelong Rider Suffering Through MBD
  • Thank you received: 274

strate6 wrote: ...The 1300 is easier and more relaxed to ride and pulls far better from lower revs in higher gears and is quieter being shaft drive...
...If some of you think fitting the carbs back on a 1300 and setting them up is a "carry on"...........you want to try doing the same with the 6 carb set up on a CBX !!!.......

Pete F
UK

That's for sure Pete.
Good info there about the character of the engine. A mechanic friend of mine is refurbishing a CBX and to get the carbs off he had to loosen the engine so that it would rotate down and forward to get any clearance.
Regards
Bill
1947 Indian Chief, 1968 BSA Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 Kawasaki W3, 1976 KZ900 A4, 1979 KZ750 B4, 1979 KZ750 B4 Trike, 1980 KZ550, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 1985 Kawasaki ZN1300, 1987 Yamaha Trail Way, 2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer, 1981 GL 1100, 2009 Yamaha RoadLiner S

Last edit: by KZQ.

honda on a kawasaki site??? 7 years 6 months ago #14380

• Tonto
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 133
Bill, its also a nightmare when you want to take the cam cover off a CBX - yep, just like with the carbs you have to drop / pivot the engine forward to provide enough clearance, which in turn necessitates taking (at least) half the exhaust system off: takes ages and is a right pain. :angry: :pinch:

Pete, fully agree about the earlier Z model being so much nicer on the eye: cant beleive how Hounda morphed it into the pro-link after 2-3 years.

Cheers Tim
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without the loss of enthusiasm " Winston Churchill.

Time to create page: 0.088 seconds