• Page:

TOPIC:

Open headers an issue? 7 years 7 months ago #14345

• Ledkz1300
  • Ledkz1300's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 76
I have a DG 6-1 header system and I was thinking about taking the baffle out for the weekend.

There is a big local bike rally this weekend in which Harley's with open pipes will be definitely over represented so I figured I'd run open pipes just to level the playing field. I've taken the baffle out on occasion and it certainly sounds ferocious, especially at high RPM. Loud enough to want earplugs for the ride.

Just wondering if this will have any effect on my air/fuel mixture. I did a quick test with the Gunson colortune and I really don't see a different in the flame. In or out it looks the same.

Any chance I can burn my valves this way? I know its possible with short pipes but I'm not sure with a full length system on it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Open headers an issue? 7 years 7 months ago #14346

• kza13
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 97
We spoke about this in another thread, not about leaving the baffle out, but about taking off the fiberglass wrapping around the baffle, it makes it sound better and shouldn't cause any problem, give it a go, you'll like the sound ... cheers pete.
after tuesday even the calendar goes WTF
1979 KAWASAKI Z1300 A1 WITH A DJP SIDECAR
Frame No: KZT3OA003911
Engine No: KZT3OAE004153

Open headers an issue? 7 years 7 months ago #14347

• Ledkz1300
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I took out the packing and threw that away a long time ago :)

I just wanted to make even more noise. Just for the weekend.

Open headers an issue? 7 years 7 months ago #14348

• kza13
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 97
Well ok then :-) up to you, wear ear plugs to protect your ears, be careful about starting fires with the exhaust, and have heaps of fun :-), I don't know about burning valves out, i'd say it won't be too bad on short runs because you still have your headers on, but if I had the guts i'd do it also
after tuesday even the calendar goes WTF
1979 KAWASAKI Z1300 A1 WITH A DJP SIDECAR
Frame No: KZT3OA003911
Engine No: KZT3OAE004153

Open headers an issue? 7 years 7 months ago #14354

• Ledkz1300
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
We made the rally without the baffle and I'm sure glad I wore earplugs. Even with them and the helmet my ears are ringing a bit. Not bad down low but when the rpms peak... wow.

There was probably 20,000 bikes and I only saw one other vintage kawi. Looked to be a 77 kz1000 as it drove by. The old 1300 got a lot of attention and pictures. Great day for a ride, low 20s but the traffic there was insane. It is a tiny little town. We parked at the beginning but the was a kilometer or more of bikes in some places 4 lanes deep. I should have taken more pictures but I have some video I will upload at some point. My friend with the Gixxer was running a GoPro on the way down.

Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.099 seconds