It's out of the shed and in the sunshine :) 7 years 8 months ago #13789

• charlie9670
  • charlie9670's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 13
Thats encouraging, hope your right
:) Z13 UK

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

It's out of the shed and in the sunshine :) 7 years 8 months ago #13793

• Petez13
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 3
Mine was doing the same, the oil remained black which was good but the window would steam up almost every time especially after a short run.
I thought it must be the head gasket or the cylinder o-rings, as the water pump seal was new. I borrowed a rad pressure tester from work and the gauge slowly dropped. So with that I decided the remove the head and cylinders as a rebore was planned anyway.
Once the head was removed I was expecting something obvious with the head gasket, but nothing and same with the cylinders.
I later found out the rad tester had a leak it's self which I wasnt too happy about.
The only possible explanation I could think of is me getting too close with the jet wash as I had a couple of oil leaks around the engine.
So maybe you could try with a reliable rad tester but be carful not to go over the max pressure permitted, think it's around 10 psi but not sure.
Cheers Pete.

It's out of the shed and in the sunshine :) 7 years 8 months ago #13795

• charlie9670
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Another problem which I don't like the look of (I said it had gone too well) I dropped the oil into a bowl and when emptied out there were some small shreds of black plastic and a few tiny fragments of metal. This i presume must be bits of camchain tensioning parts, I've only ridden a couple of miles. I fitted a new nylon cog and holding rubbers in the block by lifting the tensioning gear up and dropping it back with the new one in, then fitted the ZZR tensioner with cut down spring and heard it ratchet in.All the runners and chain seemed fine before, unworn apart from the cog. I dont know if I could have dislodged something or the ZZR unit has overtightened somehow, it did seem a little noisey on tickover which I thought could have been clutch or primary chain, hopefully my next move isn't to pull the whole thing apart again..HELP!:)

Attachments:

It's out of the shed and in the sunshine :) 7 years 8 months ago #13797

• Mark
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 27
Shot in the dark hear Charlie not rubber related, but these can be prone to bolts coming loose in the starter motor clutch, is the noise coming from that area, if so they could be rubbing on the casings, just a thought when you mentioned noise, though you did say you were on tick over and not trying to start. This could also be remnants from the past
17 years a Z13 owner at present 3 x A1's and an A4

It's out of the shed and in the sunshine :) 7 years 8 months ago #13799

• charlie9670
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Hmm , food for thought, I'll maybe run it carefully a bit more and monitor the oil, if it does anything nasty I'll be shutting off and back to the spanners.

It's out of the shed and in the sunshine :) 7 years 8 months ago #13802

• kwak1261
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 72
those bits could have dropped in when you removed the head and cleaned the faces.
that sump is big and can hold a lot of debris from the past that maybe washed out when you drained it
put your new oil in it fire it up and go round the engine with a screwdriver cupped in your hand, stick the point on the angine and listen to
whats happening inside.
if no nasty noises give it a run and drop the oil again just to be sure, it wont hurt to put the same oil back in.
Z1300 A4 ZG1300 DFI X2
Z1261J GS1000S
Vmax1200 XT500

Last edit: by kwak1261.
Time to create page: 0.086 seconds