Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Got a favorite tire changer? 8 years 3 weeks ago #11620

• kwak1261
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 72
I pay £20 to change a tyre, car or bike. That includes balancing.
I can't see the point in spending out all that money for equipment that's just going to sit there
until I get a puncture or wear a tyre out.
$65 is taking the piss I think, it's the same process.

The rate I get through tyres I only need a new tyre every 3 years.
Z1300 A4 ZG1300 DFI X2
Z1261J GS1000S
Vmax1200 XT500

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Got a favorite tire changer? 8 years 3 weeks ago #11621

• trikebldr
  • trikebldr's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 38

kwak1261 wrote: ...spending out all that money for equipment that's just going to sit there...

I guess we don't have any DIY'ers on here! If I can buy the equipment to do the same job myself as what I would pay somebody else to do, then why not? Then, the next time I will have the equipment so I no longer have to shell out any money! In my case right now, I have five tires that need to be changed immediately, so for the same cost of having it done, I will now have my own equipment to do the job myself, and will never have to spend another dime to have it done. Might even be able to make a little money doing it for others, too!
Oh, well, I just thought that maybe there were others who like doing as much for themselves as they can, and I wanted to see what they use to change a tire.

Got a favorite tire changer? 8 years 3 weeks ago #11622

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
I'm much like you Bruce. I won't spend a nickel on labor if I can buy a tool and do it myself. Nobody seems to care anymore about your equipment so you need to look after yourself.
I've seen a unit I think was offered by Harbor Freight which mounts in the 2" receiver of a vehicle. that would give you a firm base for pulling the tire off/putting on, and minimize the footprint of the stored tool when not in use. Seemed like a good idea to me.

I guess we don't have any DIY'ers on here! 8 years 3 weeks ago #11624

• Mark
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 27
(I guess we don't have any DIY,ers on here)
Some of us work in our back yards in small sheds due to that being the only space we may have, I have a reasonable set of tools along with a ramp etc which takes up space and do 95% of my own work on my bikes, tasks I won't do on my Z is the paintwork, prefer a professional to do it get the result I want, changing a tire which is really a rare occurrence will take to the bike shop doesn't cost a lot, and saves me having to store a tire change unit. Come on trikebldr just because we don't change our own tires don't mean we can't or don't do DIY on a multitude of things. Mind you must be honest was looking at one the other day for about £150 looked good but ultimately thought, nice to have but where would I put it and how often would I use it.
17 years a Z13 owner at present 3 x A1's and an A4

I guess we don't have any DIY'ers on here! 8 years 3 weeks ago #11625

• kwak1261
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 72

Mark wrote: (I guess we don't have any DIY,ers on here)
where would I put it and how often would I use it.

I'm the same sentiments as you Mark. Lack of space and can't justify the cost. but I do all my own work
And for the odd occasion that I need to change a tyre I have a pair of tyre fitters levers and a size 11 boot that work quite well
And it all tucks away into the tool box
Z1300 A4 ZG1300 DFI X2
Z1261J GS1000S
Vmax1200 XT500

Got a favorite tire changer? 8 years 3 weeks ago #11633

• trikebldr
  • trikebldr's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 38
Mark, I've shown my workspace on here, so you all know that I work in a cramped basement, with the bikes sitting out on the patio, or under the carport, covered up most of the time, and my "workbench" also doubles as a washing machine/dryer.

I keep hearing the old lament that "can't justify the cost", but you ARE throwing that same money at someone else to do that work for you! As far as space to store it, you must live in a studio apartment with four room-mates! These portable units can hang on a garage or shop wall out of the way, or alongside the bike when it's parked. I can almost buy the excuse that it wouldn't be used that often, but if you've had five tires changed and paid for it, you've just wasted money that could have bought a simpler machine.

Anyway, what I was going for with my original post is to see what others use, not WHY they don't use a machine. Bah, humbug!

Last edit: by trikebldr.
Time to create page: 0.074 seconds