TOPIC:

Primary chain 8 years 1 month ago #11346

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029

kwak1261 wrote:

Kawboy wrote:

kwak1261 wrote: WoW good find chaps, ill be looking at motorcycle products chain as they are apparently only 10 miles up the road from me in Chelmsford.
if i can stick one in a jiffy bag and post it to you Kawboy ill get a price from the post office, might be a bit cheaper, you never know.

You're a good man for offering. Let me know what you find out. I would buy a primary and secondary chain. Can't justify tearing the whole engine apart and not doing both chains.

2 chains weigh about 1200 grams plus a jiffy bag.
my local post office reckon they can get that lot to you in Canada tracked for about £18 of the queens finest.
i didnt think that was too bad.

I'll be pulling the engine in a couple of weeks and check both chains. Pretty sure I'll be replacing both but I'll let you know about purchasing and probably take you up on the offer since they don't ship internationally. Why I'm not sure. Thanks Ian.

John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Primary chain 8 years 1 month ago #11461

• Yaegunp
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 32

kwak1261 wrote: to anyone that has rebuilt there engine, did you replace the primary chain? how bad was the old one ?
i have about 18 degrees of movement in the crank before the cams start to move either way.
i was lucky to find a brand new old stock chain when i did my A5 cant find anything now
does anyone know of a supplier. ?

Ian

I stayed out of this thread as I had not quite finished tuning my bike after 6 month or more off the road. I had a lot of chatter at low revs and after much debate it looked like it was the primary and secondary chains out of spec. I posted a few videos of the chatter onto youtube (troubleshooting Z1300). Just before Xmas a fellow from Sweden saw my video - he has a lot of experience working on Z1300's particularly the non-injected types and he sent me a message to say that he had never come across a Z1300 where the chains needed replacing. Anyways we corresponded back and forth and he was adamant that I did not need to split the engine and replace the chains, he said the trouble I was having was due to bad idle and he had witnessed it many times before on heaps of Z1300's. Here is the first email he sent me: -

Hi again Paul.

I dom´t want to be an bully or so, i just wan´t to help people having z1300:s...*smile*.

So i just have to say that you´r answer OR you´r Colortune are TOTALLY wrong! *smile again*

You state that 3,5 turns out is to lean...regarding to 1,5 or 2,5.

The fact is the opposite...The enricher screws are FEEDING fuel, in other word, the more turns out the more fuel, EG it´s LESS leaner!

In other words again... The lesser turns out will get a leaner mixture....!

But besides that then...I have workt with these bikes for almost 25 years now.
ALL of them need the enricher screw to be turnd out 3,5 turns to work right.

I have atleast worked with 100 z1300:s and if you bike would be differnet I assure you will be the first! *smile*.

AND...i think i have an other fact to be sure that i´m right for my claim:

You can´t meassure you´r primarychains whitout, (some), dissasembly....and as i understand it, you haven´t yet.
You have probably just lissened to the sound of them.

AND......the above fact i just mentioned gives the the result of cluttering primarychains!!!

In my 25 years of rebuilding these bikes i ahve never heard of ANY transmissionschains to be faulty.

It is on the other hand very common to get these chans to clatter because of other faults...as for example carbs out of tune! *smile*.

I don´t know everything Paul...But you´r enginge sounds completely sound and normal BUT just whitout the absolutely fault that any z1300:s have...just to lean adjusted carbs!

Just try my recommendation,,,and i promise you´r cleared out!

So I ended up taking his advice and have the bike running without any chatter at low revs. I did not install the primary and secondary chains I purchased either. One thing I should mention in case you don't know is that the A4-A5 has a different size chain than the earlier models. I just can't think if it was the primary or secondary chain just now, but if you look up the part numbers you can find out.

Hope this helps somebody sort out there decision on whether to install/buy new chains. For the time being I have not changed mine and don't intend to at this point in time.
1983 Z1300 A5 plus Sidecar.

Primary chain 8 years 1 month ago #11462

• Kwakanuk
  • Thank you received: 4
Very interesting reading. This site is a wealth of informations.
Gpz 750 Turbo 1984, Gpz 750 Turbo 1985, KZ 1300 1981.

Primary chain 8 years 1 month ago #11463

• kwak1261
  • kwak1261's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 72
Well i have to disagree with him on the mixture screws, when i first set mine up to the book it started but filled the workshop with fumes,
i had to crawl out on my hands and knees. after a bit of research i changed the settings to 3.5 turns static and started the bike again.
what a transformation, i then used a colour tune for the fine adjustment.

i can agree with him on getting the carbs balanced to reduce the chatter, with the amount of play between the crank and gearbox via the secondary shaft any imbalance will enhance the chatter experience.

and i have to agree again that looking at my to pics of the primary chain only having about 18mm of slack then it is within the service limit of 21mm
i cant imagine another 3mm of slack on such a short chain, how far would that retard the cam timing.
of the top of my head i could probably advance the cams by 1 tooth.
as i have the whole lot open on the bench im gonna put a dial gauge on the crank and measure where the inlet opens.

i seam to have gone from one extreme to another, i have to dial the cams in on my Z1000 with 425 cams the overlap is critical and yet the Z1300 is ball park and it only gets worse as it wears.

sorry brain going much faster than the fingers can type..
Z1300 A4 ZG1300 DFI X2
Z1261J GS1000S
Vmax1200 XT500

Last edit: by kwak1261.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.090 seconds