Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Show and Tell? 8 years 5 months ago #9499

• trikebldr
  • trikebldr's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 38
Wasn't sure whether this should go here, or under the Projects listing.
All of you guys talking about all of the riding you're getting to do , and then the pics of the big bridge and a beautiful bike parked on the ferry docks just did me in! I bought my '85 Voyager ZN1300 this time last year, but illness and a bum left hip have kept me off the thing all this time. My hip still isn't up to strength enough to safely hold that bike up in traffic. So, what's a boy to do? SIDECAR!
Just bought a late '70's Vetter Terraplane sidecar! It's a Limited Edition (whatever that means!) with the adjustable lean strut and the optional Airheart disc brake system. It appears to have been kept inside all it's life, along with the bike it was hooked to. The guy who bought the bike didn't want the sidecar, so I lucked out! Except for some gel-coat dulling (very slight in one area), it looks brand new.
The Terraplane has always been one of my favorite sidecars because it has the same styling cues as my Voyager, with a "wedge" design. Once I get it color matched to my bike I think it will make quite a rig. Even the tail-light is rectangular like on the Voyager, and the rear of the 'car has the same basic shape as the trunk on the bike. Most of all, it will allow me to get back on my bike even with a bum right ankle and a weak left leg. So what if I can't walk when I get off?
Of course, just like my first Voyager and Motorvation Spyder hack, this one will have a heater tapped into the bike's water system, plus stereo speakers, an electric lean control, 5-10 gallon gas tank and pump, and an onboard air compressor to adjust the shock pressure.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by trikebldr.

Show and Tell? 8 years 5 months ago #9505

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027
Nice!! I even like the fact that the wheel on the sidecar matches the wheels on the Voyager. Seems like it was "Meant to Be".

Show and Tell? 8 years 5 months ago #9510

• trikebldr
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Kawboy wrote: Nice!! I even like the fact that the wheel on the sidecar matches the wheels on the Voyager. Seems like it was "Meant to Be".

That was the icing on this cake for me, too! My first sidecar had the same wheel, but a 16 incher, also in black, so I went to the Kaw dealer and he had a 6oz can of the gold paint they use from Kawasaki to repaint or touch up their wheels. I thinned it and sprayed it with my airbrush. This 19" wheel will get the same treatment! My first pic is of my first sidecar hooked to my Gold Wing (with the black wheel), the second pic is hooked to the Voyager back in the 80's (with the gold wheel). The gold paint just added that final touch to the car.

Show and Tell? 8 years 5 months ago #9517

• biltonjim
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 240
Your Voyager looks amazing, trikebldr. I just love those, especially in that livery. It looks to be original - what condition and mileage, please? And yes, if you must have a sidecar, then that Vetter is a beauty. Good luck with it.

Show and Tell? 8 years 5 months ago #9523

• lucasind
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 13
...Very nice buy there Bruce ! Last mentioned, I think I recall you saying you were thinking on building something from scratch,,, just my opinion but I think this is better ! (just trying to get ya back on the road sooner,and maybe even up to Hurley WI. next June ! )
Also was wondering if the sidecar heater is a automotive type heater core /w fan blower ? Do you notice the big six running cooler on the dash gauge as a result of the piping, extra core, and additional coolant capacity ?......................Tony :)

Show and Tell? 8 years 5 months ago #9525

• trikebldr
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

biltonjim wrote: Your Voyager looks amazing, trikebldr. I just love those, especially in that livery. It looks to be original - what condition and mileage, please? And yes, if you must have a sidecar, then that Vetter is a beauty. Good luck with it.

Jim, that particular bike was a 1983. I bought it new in 1984, as most Voyager 1300's didn't sell until they had graced most showrooms for a year or so. You can't see them, but it had many modifications to it. First, the front fork springs were cut 2" to lower it for better handling with the 'car. Then, it had an auxilliary inline water pump and extra piping to feed hot water over to the sidecar. I added an slightly larger air compressor in the sidecar to feed the bike's shocks and forks as well as the shock on the hack. The 'car also had a 10 gallon gas tank in the bottom of the trunk area with a pump to keep my bike's tank topped off as I rode. Stereo and intercom were added to the sidecar for the "monkey". I also added an Airheart disc brake system from one of my old go-karts to the sidecar wheel. The bike had the turn signals set back into the fairing and dark lenses made to cover them, and the headlight had a clear lens made to fit over it. There were a few more mods to the bike, like a home-made, chromed trailer hitch, and a pre-oiler to bring engine oil up to pressure before turning it over each time.
When I finally sold it, it had a little more than 112,000 miles on it and had been t-boned. most of those miles were with the hack, and both were kept inside all the time. And I mean inside a large bedroom at the back of my house, with a wide slider door to get it through! Except for the obvious dmage from the crash, it looked really good and ran like new. In nother thread somewhere on this forum is the story about how my ex had hoodwinked me into "going to dinner" when I was on my death-bed with the flu, then gently led me into the dealership and had me sit on the bike for a pic. As I sat there, drooling and dreaming as I had done many times before, the salesman walked up behind me and handed me the keys and told me to enjoy many happy miles! I sure did!

Time to create page: 0.141 seconds