Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

ZN1300 Voyager 8 years 6 months ago #9513

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lifelong Rider Suffering Through MBD
  • Thank you received: 274
I've also had both 1200 and 1300 Voyagers.
1300 Pros: Great power. Good Ground clearance.
Cons: Space age instrumentation often undependable. Top heavy.
1200 Pros: Hydraulic valves need no adjustments. Descent power.
Cons: Wimpy front forks allow the head to shake.

I've never ridden a 1200 that wouldn't shake it's head if you take your hands off of the bars on deceleration.

Bill
1947 Indian Chief, 1968 BSA Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 Kawasaki W3, 1976 KZ900 A4, 1979 KZ750 B4, 1979 KZ750 B4 Trike, 1980 KZ550, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 1985 Kawasaki ZN1300, 1987 Yamaha Trail Way, 2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer, 1981 GL 1100, 2009 Yamaha RoadLiner S
The following user(s) said Thank You: biltonjim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by KZQ.

ZN1300 Voyager 8 years 6 months ago #9518

• biltonjim
  • biltonjim's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 242
I know exactly what you mean, lucasind, about being bothered by details such as rusty bolts etc.. Back in 1978, I bought a new Yamaha XS Eleven. What a fabulous machine, in so many ways, but the paint finish, on the frame especially, was dreadful. Rust appeared around the welds. So a few months after buying it, I completely stripped the bike and refinished it. I replaced many of the screws with stainless or chrome plated. a big job, but afterwards I was so proud of that bike. Details just have to be right for me, and it seems that is the same in your case too!

ZN1300 Voyager 8 years 6 months ago #9528

• trikebldr
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 38
Jim,

Here are the only two pics of my first '83 Voyager that I have! Shameful of me, but it WAS before digital cams! The second one shows the trailer hitch I fabbed for it. Kinda proud of how nice it turned out after chroming.

These bikes are bullet-proof if they are meticulously maintained. I never had the overheating issues that most complain about, but then mine was heavily modified for a heater in the sidecar.

I've heard it said that they were rated 140hp/140mph. Not absolutely sure about the hp, but can vouch for the 140mph+!!!

Never could get the front wheel off the ground with the stock clutch! It would just slip a few seconds until it would grab once in motion. No, I didn't add the wrong oil! A 940lb bike doesn't liken to do wheelies, nor spin it's rear wheel, and I'm not sure I would have liked when it did!

BTW, on the AVA forums there is a link to a CL ad for a 1985 Voyager 1300 that looks absolutely pristine, and the guy says it "...runs and handles as it should..." for an old bike. $2500
I am trying to sell my boat to buy it if he hasn't sold it before I sell. Never hurts to have choices in bikes to ride, even if they are identical!

FWIW, I am working on a hybrid rear end for the Voyager 1300 to raise the final drive ratio so the engine isn't turning 4000rpm at 70 mph! Lucasind is responsible for the inspiration for this drive system. Should drop that rpm down to 3200 at 70 mph.

ZN1300 Voyager 8 years 6 months ago #9534

• biltonjim
  • biltonjim's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 242
Great pictures. I love the rear view of the bike, and that hitch looks a nice piece of work.
It's a shame these big bikes didn't have an overdrive top gear. Quite a few cars nowadays have very tall top gears, and it sure does make them more relaxing to drive on the open road, as well as improving fuel economy.
Hope you manage to give that 85 Voyager a good home.

ZN1300 Voyager 8 years 6 months ago #9544

• lucasind
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 13

biltonjim wrote: I know exactly what you mean, lucasind, about being bothered by details such as rusty bolts etc.. Back in 1978, I bought a new Yamaha XS Eleven. What a fabulous machine, in so many ways, but the paint finish, on the frame especially, was dreadful. Rust appeared around the welds. So a few months after buying it, I completely stripped the bike and refinished it. I replaced many of the screws with stainless or chrome plated. a big job, but afterwards I was so proud of that bike. Details just have to be right for me, and it seems that is the same in your case too!

Hey bilton jim....1978 certainly was a GREAT year for being a motorcycle guy ! I remember the cover of one of my favorite bike magazines had the Yamaha XS 1100 and the Kawasaki KZ 1000 Z-1R on the cover with the question "which one is faster ? " I bought the Kaw new off the showroom floor and my buddy bought the Yamaha......spent alot of time on those bikes ! He was afraid of the Yamaha's power and would ask me to ride it hard and he would take pictures L.O.L here is a young me warming up the rear tire a bit on the XS 1100..............Tony :)

We lined up the bikes "nose to nose" this day cause that was the way they appeared on the cover of the magazine(I think it was Cycle )

ZN1300 Voyager 8 years 6 months ago #9548

• trikebldr
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 38

biltonjim wrote: Great pictures. I love the rear view of the bike, and that hitch looks a nice piece of work.
It's a shame these big bikes didn't have an overdrive top gear. Quite a few cars nowadays have very tall top gears, and it sure does make them more relaxing to drive on the open road, as well as improving fuel economy.
Hope you manage to give that 85 Voyager a good home.

Heh, heh, heh! Tony (Lucasind), did you hear what Jim just commented about on having a taller high gear? Sounds like I need to step up my Hondasaki drive project!

Jim, I am working on a hybrid final drive for the Voyager 1300 that uses a '94 Honda Gold Wing final drive mated to a Voyager swingarm and running the Honda's rear wheel. The Voyager turns 4000rpm at 70mph in stock form, but with the Honda's higher final drive ratio it will turn 3200rpm at 70mph. I already have the swingarm modified and powdercoated, but still need to mount it all into my Voyager to fit the driveshafts together and then weld them and balance them. Then I will be testing the system to try to break the driveshaft. Hopefully it won't let go!

Several guys have complained about this situation with the Voyager 1300. I never worried because I kinda liked the lower ratio for pulling my sidecar. And, I also kinda like the sound of six cylinders winding up! Just like with Honda car engines, they like running at higher rpm's. Mine ran perfectly for me for 112,000 miles, and who knows how many more my friend put on it.

Time to create page: 0.084 seconds