• Page:

TOPIC:

Needle & Seat - Needle retaining Clip 9 years 1 month ago #6323

• Craig
  • Craig's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 43
I recently received more carb overhaul kits from Cruzinimage as I am about to rebuild 3 sets of carbs. Just awaiting delivery of the brass floats from Scotch who has been very helpful and prompt with his shipping of the floats.(Will be interesting to see how long they take to arrive in Zim - will keep you posted Scotch!)
Having said all that, I am going off this weekend on a rally and as my bike has had continuous problems with floading, I decided to check and clean up the ones on the bike. I had major problems trying to get the float levels sorted, the levels tended to be all over the place, when wanting to lower the level, I was suddenly floading and the same when I was raising the level.....bugger!!! After a few hours of cursing and swearing and wishing I had Scotch's floats in had, I investigated deeper.....This is what I found...... Pic below!!

The needle retaining clip from Cruzinimage is a different dimension height wise in comparison to the OEM clip, although very small, it was having an effect on my settings. Sometimes snagging and/or obstructing the float needle tang.

I changed the clips to the original OEM ones.....and waaaallllaaaaa!!!!! Within a short period all was sorted!!!

The clip on the left is from Cruzinimage and measures approx 3.3mm in height and the one on the right is OEM and ,measures approx 2.8mm in Height

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Craig.

Needle & Seat - Needle retaining Clip 9 years 1 month ago #6324

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lifelong Rider Suffering Through MBD
  • Thank you received: 274
Good find Craig.

Have you let Cruisingimage in on your info?

Bill
1947 Indian Chief, 1968 BSA Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 Kawasaki W3, 1976 KZ900 A4, 1979 KZ750 B4, 1979 KZ750 B4 Trike, 1980 KZ550, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 1985 Kawasaki ZN1300, 1987 Yamaha Trail Way, 2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer, 1981 GL 1100, 2009 Yamaha RoadLiner S

Needle & Seat - Needle retaining Clip 9 years 1 month ago #6325

• Craig
  • Craig's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 43
Hi Bill,

No not yet. Will send an email to Mitsuo at Cruzinimage and advise him accordingly.

Regards

Needle & Seat - Needle retaining Clip 9 years 1 month ago #6334

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 830
Re:Needle & Seat - Needle retaining Clip:

This has been ongoing problem with aftermarket float-valve spring-clips, as I understand it, for some time now and (i believe) not just with one supplier. It's amazing to me that the respective marketing/manufacturing people haven't taken the initiative to make the proper corrections but; this being the "real world" they probably just don't give a "Rats Ass" !

Too limited a market, to bother.

NOW; If a few people were to die on exploding bikes as a result of this defective part - That would turn this whole concern right on it's head !

In the Fantasy-world of skydiving equipment here's what happens: Reputable Company "XYZ" manufactures the "reserve" closing pin. As inventory is depleted, a new batch of pins is produced, but.....it is soon learned (in the field) that the cable swagging process is faulty and the pin breaks above the closing-loop. NO ABILITY TO HAND DEPLOY THE RESERVE ! Fortunately this is discovered before anyone dies and within HOURS - the word gets out - goes global - the batch of defective pins is identified - ALL rigs with suspect pins are removed from service and within weeks, replacements are shipped to riggers. Problem identified, Problem solved. PERIOD. NO SHIT. That's how it really works.

The problem with the float-needle spring-clip - No one gets hurt - so the manufacturer doesn't give a shit ! THERE"S NO INCENTIVE TO CHANGE the defective part !

So, I make my own needle retaining clips ! And sorry, not for sale !

FOOTNOTE: The defective "reserve-pins" are issued FREE of CHARGE ! :)

Now, if you'll excuse me. I'm going to go Skydiving..........if my bike doesn't explode on the way to the DZ :evil:
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !

Needle & Seat - Needle retaining Clip 9 years 1 month ago #6337

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 830
I guess the only point to submitting this would be to show how these could be fabricated anywhere with nothing more then a pair of needle-nose pliers c/w wire cutter.

1st person making any reference to "MacGyver" is on my "NO FLOAT" list. :ohmy:

Despite the obvious variations they all work as intended with no interference to the float or needle-valve. I tested them ! It should also be pointed-out that an equal number went into the can!

Makes you wonder how an (after-market) manufacturer with all the right tooling could screw this up ?

The critical part as I discovered, other then the obvious height concern, is starting with a "spring" that has the correct wire-gauge for the "groove" and the correct O/A diameter so it stays in the groove. Using a NEW set of needle-nose pliers that are tight and have no damage at the tips of the jaws is key to bending accurately. (and the next time I'm out I'm going to buy a set just for this).

WHY ?: My history with these clips "going into orbit" is as good as NASA's however, they have a
better record of getting their hardware back.

I'm currently using 1 of these "alternate" clips in a set of floats. Just saying ..........

"When the going gets tough: Let someone else deal with the crap".

"IT GIVES YOU MORE TIME TO WORK THINGS OUT A BETTER WAY" !

1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !
Attachments:

Needle & Seat - Needle retaining Clip 9 years 1 month ago #6340

• kza13
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 97
Put a post months and months ago about those clips, the replacement ones were either stopping the needle opening or they were binding up keeping them open, put the original ones back in and all was good
after tuesday even the calendar goes WTF
1979 KAWASAKI Z1300 A1 WITH A DJP SIDECAR
Frame No: KZT3OA003911
Engine No: KZT3OAE004153
The following user(s) said Thank You: KZQ

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.257 seconds