• Page:

TOPIC:

Fuel pump revisted 9 years 5 months ago #5064

• kennyb
  • kennyb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 8
I was going at a quite a brisk pace today and by accident I got my KZ into triple digit speeds :ohmy: I did notice it seemed like it was starving a little for fuel. I feel I have it jetted right and float heights are perfect. I did try a FZR1000 fuel pump earlier on. But had a lot weeping though so I scratched the fuel pump idea.So I was considering trying a pulse pump. The one I had my eye on was the Mikuni DF44-211. Any input would be appreciated in helping me decide to purchase or not,thanks.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by kennyb.

Fuel pump revisted 9 years 5 months ago #5065

• RickG
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 95
That is a continuing issue with the Z13s. There is a very fine line to getting it right.
I did have one person many years ago say he had fitted needle and seats that were for running methanol in mikunis. That is they have about double the flow of the OEM needle and seat.
I never got to find out what carbs they were from or anything else and I don't know who he even was so any more info can't be given.
I used to bore out the seats on my drag bike (pictured) when I was running 34mm Mikunis with a 1198 engine and even then I always tried to let it idle foe as long as possible before the staging so the bowls were full at the start or it would lean out heaps in the top end and occasionally smoke a piston or two.
It was after a few monumental explosions that I decided to get some Hillbourne Injection.
Live your life so that the Westbro Baptist Church will want to picket your funeral
Z1300 A1 x 2
The following user(s) said Thank You: kennyb

Fuel pump revisted 9 years 5 months ago #5068

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
I have done a lot of work on Fuel Pumps with carb model Z1300s over many years.I have fitted most of my own with a pump and fitted many more to other owners bikes too.

The PULSE pump is a waste of time & will not improve the flow at all.

You need a very low pressure pump from a bike fitted with carbs such as a Yamaha VMAX or early carb model R6.
These pumps are made to supply the correct amount of fuel at all times by keeping your float bowls full but not stressing them and creating an overflow.

The thing you MUST be sure of is that your float jets & seats are in good order to maintain the flow pressure from the pump, or they will allow too much fuel past.

Once done correctly a pump will make starting far better & general running much better too.

Pete F
UK
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?
The following user(s) said Thank You: kennyb

Last edit: by strate6.

Fuel pump revisted 9 years 5 months ago #5079

• kennyb
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
I already have a Yamaha FZR1000 fuel pump. I rebuilt the carbs and replaced pretty much every thing with new parts.Alright I will give another try. I do here mixed reviews about the fuel pump. I did lower the jet needle to the last position it alleviate some of the starvation issue. But thank you all for your input and ride safe.

Fuel pump revisted 9 years 5 months ago #5115

• kennyb
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
Maybe I'm connecting it wrong?Do I connect the pump that is to a constant 12V p/w or do I connect the p/w wire going to one of the coils?

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.094 seconds