• Page:

TOPIC:

Had a problem, finally figued out 10 years 5 days ago #3150

• kza13
  • kza13's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 97
Hi all, I have a '79 A1 carby model, I did a fuel level check a little while ago, and since then she hasn't been running right, start ok, run good for a while then start missing, then come good, the problem wasn't all the time just now and again, drove me up the wall, finally figured it out ... it was the replacement needles and seats, or one of them. I got a carby re-build kit from the German place ages ago, all was good, it's just since I did the last level check, turns out the little clip that holds the needle in was holding the needle shut now and again, I dug out the old seat units and had a look, even put my glasses on and checked closely, the replacement ones wire clip top were angled in and were too close to the needle, the old ones were straighter and gave the needle room to move, so I put the old ones back in, checked the seats first, stainless and good as new, fuel flows good and needle doesn't hook on the edge, anyway just thought i'd share, took a photo of the replacement, but forgot to take a photo of the old ones before I put them in, silly me, cheers Pete

See angled top wire bit, too close to needle, old ones wider apart
after tuesday even the calendar goes WTF
1979 KAWASAKI Z1300 A1 WITH A DJP SIDECAR
Frame No: KZT3OA003911
Engine No: KZT3OAE004153
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Had a problem, finally figued out 10 years 5 days ago #3152

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lifelong Rider Suffering Through MBD
  • Thank you received: 274
Good catch Pete! Something like that might never have been found.

Don't you just love taking those carbs off? :sick:

Bill
1947 Indian Chief, 1968 BSA Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 Kawasaki W3, 1976 KZ900 A4, 1979 KZ750 B4, 1979 KZ750 B4 Trike, 1980 KZ550, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 1985 Kawasaki ZN1300, 1987 Yamaha Trail Way, 2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer, 1981 GL 1100, 2009 Yamaha RoadLiner S

Had a problem, finally figued out 10 years 5 days ago #3153

• kza13
  • kza13's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 97
Standard air box, carbs with original clamps, silicon spray helps get the box back on so long as you leave the carbs loose, love those rubber rings (NOT!!), anyway I might have another look at that GPZ900 tap I put on, thought it might be causing the problems after I hooked up the vacuum line, took the line off and just ran her on the prime position to make sure fuel was flowing, guess I can put the vacuum line back on now and see what happens.
Just took the old girl for a run, 4000 - 5000 revs along the highway, running like a dream on all 6, thank goodness, even passed a few Harleys to make my day complete :woohoo: , cheers
after tuesday even the calendar goes WTF
1979 KAWASAKI Z1300 A1 WITH A DJP SIDECAR
Frame No: KZT3OA003911
Engine No: KZT3OAE004153

Had a problem, finally figued out 10 years 5 days ago #3155

• KEL
  • Thank you received: 0
I found both of mine at the bottom of one carb!
No wonder it overflowed like a SOB..

Had a problem, finally figued out 10 years 4 days ago #3156

• Toddh
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 65
I had the same Float Valve needle binding happen with the overpriced Keyster Kits. (On one carb)

When I ordered the cheaper kits from Japan, that problem, was solved.

Thanks for sharing.

Todd.
KZ1300 A-4 4TH 1300 IN 30 YEARS
KZ1000 D-3/ Z1R
ZX900 GPZ A-3
KZ750 E-1
K1200GT
CB750F 1978

Had a problem, finally figued out 9 years 4 months ago #5638

• Mrnlaguna
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey Todd,
Bought the Japanese kits for my 81', in the process of rebuilding as we speak, noticing a very slight height difference (taller) in the replacement needle and seat barrels than the old ones coming out. To your knowledge,is there a dry setting for the floats and if so what would be the points of measure? (Like a Kz 1000/900)I have the shop manual with wet setting info.
Rebuilding due to flooding into cylinder( if gas not shut off) and lazy cold start in #'s 1&2. Once it warms up it runs fine. Suspect needle and seat and or pilot jet issues, also found two pilot jets that will not come out past threads from brass plugs covering them in #'s 3&4, previous owner must have used a jackhammer with a slotted screwdriver attachment...........
Thanks in advance, from your fellow left coaster, Mike.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.110 seconds