• Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
David,

The airbox in the photo is very nice.

May I ask who made that ?

Pete F
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Air Box Modification 10 years 2 months ago #1898

• zed_thirteen
  • zed_thirteen's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 137
I have no idea. It was on evilBay a couple of years ago. It was someone in the USA and I think he wanted $400 for the airbox and I think it was $270 for shipping to UK.

I might have actually paid the $400 - No I wouldn't!

There are some more pictures if you click on that image. I especially liked that it got rid of those flimsy rubbers to the carbs and had an 'O' ring inside a specially machined oval opening for each one.
1980 KZ1300 B2 Touring/A2
1990 ZZ-R1100 C1

Air Box Modification 10 years 2 months ago #1900

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
I built a 1300 chop some years ago & wanted a Stainless or Alloy Airbox making but could not get anyone to copy the top piece of the original.

I eventually found a company on Ebay who made battery boxes & airfilter boxes for rally cars (Mitsi's & Scooby's etc).
I sent him a photo of the top piece I had & he agreed to try making an alloy copy, which he did & it was perfect. The best bit was it was only £125 all in.
Went back a couple of years after to have another made & he had gone out of business unfortunately.
I think if you were to contact a similar type company you could get them to make you one.
Have a look at this on Ebay..........290910417827......maybe worth getting in touch & asking the question ?

Pic below of my chop with the airbox fitted......not the best photo but you see a bit of it anyway

Pete F
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?
Attachments:

Last edit: by strate6.

Air Box Modification 10 years 2 months ago #1901

• Mikez
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 14
I remember seeing that custom airbox on ebay last year. I remember it was quite expensive lol

Air Box Modification 10 years 2 months ago #1906

• Toddh
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 65
With 3-D printing becoming mainstream, many metro areas have business that specialize in such a service.

They can even print in metal now. Provided it's cost effective..........

In our area we have a vendor selling 3-D printers for about $800.00, some assembly required. But it did not look too difficult. That model only printed in plastic.

If you do have an airbox printed, consider wall thickness to the plenum. If the walls are too thin, it can introduce surging within the induction system. Had that little Gem of a problem on my K1200GT, and that airbox was supposed to be engineered by professionals. Fortunately the manufacturer replaced it under warranty with a redesigned airbox.

Regards.

T.
KZ1300 A-4 4TH 1300 IN 30 YEARS
KZ1000 D-3/ Z1R
ZX900 GPZ A-3
KZ750 E-1
K1200GT
CB750F 1978

Last edit: by Toddh.

Air Box Modification 10 years 1 month ago #2046

• zed_thirteen
  • zed_thirteen's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 137
Pod filters arrived today so I've taken measurements and, as I suspected, there just isn't room to get four filters in and keep the original side covers.

So I've reduced the design to 3 filters.

I also had a quote to get the top plate made (for four filters) and it was £145! (or about a million bucks for our American friends) I can't afford that sort of money so I'm going to make some MDF router jigs and mill my own. I've seen some footage on the web and they reckon you can mill aluminium with a router if you only cut 0.2mm on each pass so I will need 10 passes but I think it will be ok.

New design:
1980 KZ1300 B2 Touring/A2
1990 ZZ-R1100 C1

Time to create page: 0.121 seconds