Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Carb O-ring kits? 7 years 8 months ago #14145

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
Round and round and round we go. Similar topics over and over again. I haven't posted on here for the last 2 months since a couple of our members think that some us more knowledgeable members who constantly post to help out are bunch of airheads who just want to hear ourselves talk on the site.
So why am I posting? Raygun is new to the site and just wants a set of orings to rebuild the carbs. Yes, he can just buy 3 kits and get it done but the problem is the orings that come in the kits are Nitrile and the ethanol gasoline we are forced to use damages the nitrile. If you're going to go to the effort of rebuilding the carbs you'd be a fool to do the job with nitrile orings. You want to source out the same orings in a Viton75 material. Viton75 is very compatible with the ethanol and you'll not have to redo the carbs again because of oring failures.

I sourced out the Viton75 orings at a oring manufacturer. The cost to do 3 carbs with the right orings is about $12,00 Canadian. The cost for the same orings in nitrile is about $2,00 Canadian.

If you REALLY want to do the throttle shaft seals, the seals from the Yamaha XS650 BS34 carbs is the same seal and still available from Yamaha ( $ 5.95 Canadian)BUT unless you're a carb EXPERT and know how to set up butterfly valves after removing them from the carbs shafts DON"T TRY IT ALONE. It's an art and you can really screw up a set of carbs if you don't know what you're doing. Best advice, clean the carbs and keep your cleaning products away from the throttle shaft bushings so you don't screw up the seals in there.

Raygun, if you can't source the Viton75 orings and would like a set, send me a PM (private message) with your mailing address and I'll mail you out a set Free of charge. My gift to you and maybe you can do the same for another member at some point in the future. Homer01 and Yaegump have received sets from me and to the best of my knowledge are happy with them.
Cheers
Kawboy

Edit post- Found an excerpt from a post from way back when with the specs for the orings so here it is

Went to Hitech Seals in Newmarket today and fitted up seals for the carbs. All seals are Viton 75 durometer.

[/Oring for the Neeedle Seat Body 7.5mm X 1.5mm Hitech part# MV8 150075 $1.39 each
Oring for Idle Air Needle 3.0mm X 1.5mm hitech part# MN7 15003 $0.75 each
Oring for carb bowl drain screw is a part #007 since there was no metric equivalent that fit correctly. cost $1.05 b]

I asked about the lip seal for the throttle shaft and they couldn't spec out a seal, so the search was on. Thank God for the internet. After about 2 hours of searching, I stumbled onto a website forum for the XS650 Yamaha and a thread on changing out the throttle shaft seals on their Mikuni BS34 carbs. Would you believe the throttle shaft and the carb shaft bores are identical AND the seals are still available YAMAHA part # 256-14997-00-00. Called up the local dealer and ordered 6 @ $5.95 each.
[/YAAHOOOOOOO!!!!!b]
The following user(s) said Thank You: biltonjim, dogfight

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Kawboy. Reason: adding info

Carb O-ring kits? 7 years 8 months ago #14162

• biltonjim
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 242
Excellent, informative post, Kawboy. Thanks for taking the trouble to do this - it will help a lot of us, I'm sure.

Carb O-ring kits? 7 years 8 months ago #14163

• tackelhappy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164
I haven't posted on here for the last 2 months since a couple of our members think that some us more knowledgeable members who constantly post to help out are bunch of airheads who just want to hear ourselves talk on the site.
Forums like this one, as in a lot of social media attract the good and the bad, and sometimes, as you've noted , they bring out the worst in people.
However, sites like this one would soon peeter out if it wasn't for contributors like yourself. There is always only a handful of people who do most of the heavy lifting- the other 90% come/join, get what they need and then they are never heard from again.
I have learnt over the years that I have had to get a bit more thick skinned and let the abuse roll off - just post what I think and leave it at that. Alot of new comers need genuine help, even if the same questions come up over and over.
I personally have gained alot from your posts, so from where I'm standing, I hope you keep it up
" If you can't say what you think, very soon you won't be able to think !
OKANAGAN FALLS. BC ,Canada

Carb O-ring kits? 7 years 8 months ago #14177

• Ledkz1300
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 76
Yes the internet has spawned a new generation of assholes because its easy to be an asshole anonymously when no one can punch you in the face for it. :cheer:

I appreciate your posts kawboy. They've certainly helped me a lot. I've also stuck around after getting what I need to impart my meager store of information for those who may need it. I may not be 100% accurate but I try to help best I can. I appreciate how much this site has helped me so the only the I can do is try to help others in return.

Carb O-ring kits? 7 years 8 months ago #14179

• homer01
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 5
Me too have gain a great deal of helpful knowledge from these guys that go out off their way to help others out with their knowledge off these bikes, I myself really appreciate it and even though I don't understand some of what they are talking about sometimes technically .lol
As for Kawaboys O-ring kits Raygun I found no problem with them at all, they all fitted well and the service and advise that came with it was very much welcomed

Carb O-ring kits? 7 years 8 months ago #14182

• Raygun
  • Raygun's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 17

Kawboy wrote: I sourced out the Viton75 orings at a oring manufacturer. The cost to do 3 carbs with the right orings is about $12,00 Canadian. The cost for the same orings in nitrile is about $2,00 Canadian.

Raygun, if you can't source the Viton75 orings and would like a set, send me a PM (private message) with your mailing address and I'll mail you out a set Free of charge. My gift to you and maybe you can do the same for another member at some point in the future. Homer01 and Yaegump have received sets from me and to the best of my knowledge are happy with them.

Edit post- Found an excerpt from a post from way back when with the specs for the orings so here it is

Went to Hitech Seals in Newmarket today and fitted up seals for the carbs. All seals are Viton 75 durometer.

[/Oring for the Neeedle Seat Body 7.5mm X 1.5mm Hitech part# MV8 150075 $1.39 each
Oring for Idle Air Needle 3.0mm X 1.5mm hitech part# MN7 15003 $0.75 each
Oring for carb bowl drain screw is a part #007 since there was no metric equivalent that fit correctly. cost $1.05 b]

You are the man Kawboy. Thank you so much for the information and the offer to send out some o-rings. I need two sets so I'll probably source them myself now that I have the dimensions. I won't be changing the throttle shaft seals as they are usually always good. Again, thank you very much!
1982 KZ1300
2003 KLX400SR
1999 KDX220
Wife
Son
Daughter
Cat x 3

Time to create page: 0.102 seconds