• Page:

TOPIC:

varnish blockage idle circuit 7 years 9 months ago #13253

• scotch
  • scotch's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 831
Had a good long ride two weeks ago. The 80 has been running well again this year. Parked it, turned off the fuel and didn't look at it until last night, for a ride. Started with some coaxing and discovered that 3 & 4 weren't firing. Bowl had fuel! Removed the carbs to the bench and was going to separate them to deal with the center carb but decided to try something a bit unorthodox. A "test" of sorts. I did not drain the bowls. I did remove the idle-air screws and springs. Inserted my "Cleaning Tool' into each venturi of the culprit carb and gave each one a 20cc shot of lacquer-thinner with the large syringe. Got a good discharge from the idle-air mixing intakes and then gave each a light blow-out with some compressed air. ( A NOTE here - don't inject high-pressure air into the open venturi with the diaphragm installed, to avoid rupturing it.) Installed the carbs on the bike and problem solved. Fuel evaporating from the carbs leaves a varnish that will eventually plug the circuits (Yes, even with "Sea-Foam" !) Not the first time I've had to deal with this and won't be the last I'm sure. Hence the origin of the "Cleaning Tool" and now a short-cut that proved it's worth trying given the time it takes to completely strip and reassemble the carbs vs. a simple shot of L.T. with the "Cleaning Tool".

Yes, that's 3 'plugs' in one day for "Scotch's Cleaning Tool". The large syringe can also be used for basting your Thanksgiving Turkey and Christmas Goose!
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !
The following user(s) said Thank You: zed_thirteen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by scotch.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.061 seconds