Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Getting tired of this bike running like crap 7 years 9 months ago #13293

• McZed
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 26
I had a similar problem, fitted a pingel fuel tap, turned it so the outlet faced towards the back wheel, turned the carb inlet upwards -instead of down- this set up gives you the shortest possible fuel line. No in-line filter, I just rely on the filter on the fuel tap.
No problems with this set up so far.

Z1300 UK
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Getting tired of this bike running like crap 7 years 9 months ago #13294

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356

Lucien-Harpress wrote: I'm another one in the camp that a fuel pump shouldn't be necessary. If you have to have one, you're simply compensating for a problem you haven't found yet. Why put a band-aid on the cancer, when you can just cure it in the first place?

Checking the petcock screen is an excellent idea. I can't remember too many o-rings in the carb fuel circuits that could swell up and cause blockages (too used to dealing with Goldwing carbs... you DON'T want to know), but these intermittent issues definitely sound like a fuel delivery problem...

So can you explain whay Honda Suzuki Yamaha and Kawasaki ALL have fitted electric pumps to 1000's of bikes with 2 or 4 carbs ?????

It is because there is a distinct clear and worthwhile advantage mate............simple.

How can you say what you say if you have not tried it on a Z1300 as we have many time for the better ????????

When the Z1300 was designed, nobody was fitting pumps to any carb bikes.......it happened after 1979.

Its proven that a bikes with large carbs fill quicker and run better with a pump........end of !

No sticking plasters or cancer............just FACTS !!!!

Pete F
UK
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?

Last edit: by strate6.

Getting tired of this bike running like crap 7 years 9 months ago #13297

• hillsy
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 25

strate6 wrote:

Lucien-Harpress wrote: I'm another one in the camp that a fuel pump shouldn't be necessary. If you have to have one, you're simply compensating for a problem you haven't found yet. Why put a band-aid on the cancer, when you can just cure it in the first place?

Checking the petcock screen is an excellent idea. I can't remember too many o-rings in the carb fuel circuits that could swell up and cause blockages (too used to dealing with Goldwing carbs... you DON'T want to know), but these intermittent issues definitely sound like a fuel delivery problem...

So can you explain whay Honda Suzuki Yamaha and Kawasaki ALL have fitted electric pumps to 1000's of bikes with 2 or 4 carbs ?????

It is because there is a distinct clear and worthwhile advantage mate............simple.

How can you say what you say if you have not tried it on a Z1300 as we have many time for the better ????????

When the Z1300 was designed, nobody was fitting pumps to any carb bikes.......it happened after 1979.

Its proven that a bikes with large carbs fill quicker and run better with a pump........end of !

No sticking plasters or cancer............just FACTS !!!!

Pete F
UK

Most carb'd bikes fitted with fuel pumps have the carbs above the lower level of the tank - hence the need for a pump to get all the fuel out of the tank.

The only exception I can think of here is the FJ1100 v FJ1200. The 1100 did not have a fuel pump whilst the later 1200 did. The 1100's were prone to flow issues and the fuel pump addition on the 1200 certainly fixed this.

I'm still mucking around with the carbs on my 13 but I have a fuel pump at the ready if I experience any flow issues. The good thing about a fuel pump is you can run a decent paper element filter and not have to worry about whether it will flow enough like you do with a gravity feed system.

Getting tired of this bike running like crap 7 years 9 months ago #13301

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
Interesting opinon.

The ONLY bikes I know with a tank lower than the carbs is a yamaha Vmax.............which I currently own and an early Goldwing.

Could you please name some other models with fuel tanks below the carbs.........interested to know.

Pete F
UK
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?

Getting tired of this bike running like crap 7 years 9 months ago #13307

• hillsy
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 25
Pretty much all the sports bikes from the 90's had their tanks going down between the frame spars ending up lower than the carbs. They started angling the carbs down which meant they mounted them higher up under the tank as well, so they required fuel pumps to get the fuel up there.

ZZR's, ZXR's, FZR's, CBR's, early R1/6.....just about all of them had fuel pumps.

Getting tired of this bike running like crap 7 years 9 months ago #13308

• RickG
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 95
The 1100 Yamaha viragos had a small tank lower down that the main tank drained into so they had a pump.
Over the years I did have a number of times when fuel flow became a problem and had to go right through the system to get it working and to be honest having a pump would have made things a lot easier but it probably would have just kept the system working untill it was absolutely shagged and then I may have had more of a problem getting it going.
Having said all that I will be running a pump when it finally gets back on the road.
The biggest single problem was that stupid damn solenoid fuel shut off valve POS.
Live your life so that the Westbro Baptist Church will want to picket your funeral
Z1300 A1 x 2

Time to create page: 0.063 seconds