TOPIC:

On the road again, yay.........short lived arrghhh 8 years 7 months ago #9002

• Torque59
  • Torque59's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • POTEST ALITER SUBVENIRI NON POTEST PRO CUBICUS
  • Thank you received: 13
You've pricked my conscience Kawboy, I knew at the time altering the float height was not really the right way to go so will be returning everthing back to standard tomorrow.
As far as the fuel tap is concerned will pull that apart and see what is going on with it. I bought it from Z1300.de,the German website. Will be unfortunate and annoying if a brand new product is faulty. Everything else I have bought from there has been spot on.

Will check out getting a pingle fuel tap I think, expensive but if it gives piece of mind then it will be worth it.
Restored an 1976 Suzuki GT550B
Restored an 1982 Kawasaki Z1300 A4.
Also rides a 2014 Triumph Rocket Roadster, 2300cc of pure fun.

POTEST ALITER SUBVENIRI NON POTEST PRO CUBICUS

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

On the road again, yay.........short lived arrghhh 8 years 7 months ago #9008

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 831
www.kz1300.com/index.php/forum/carburato...over-flow-drain#6707

I've converted three sets of carbs to incorporate this overflow. My own carbs too. This is not intended to circumvent other concerns but this mod works as intended and the Hydro-locking risk is eliminated.

I and others over the years have made numerous comments and referrals to Fuel-valves, fuel line routing, fuel-solenoids and fuel filters. It's all there if you take some time to look for these recommendations.

A leaking stock fuel valve can be repaired if the internal damage is not too significant. The reason they leak is a result of the internal tank-filter being removed or damaged. The rust and any other debris gets into the valve and scores the plastic valve-cone and tapered bore of the body. The fuel will then leak using the scratches/gouges as a path. If the damage is minimal the plastic cone can be "lapped" into the body. I used some polishing compound as the "lapping' medium and used a cordless variable speed drill and a "slotted" driver to spin the cone within the body. For my own - It worked as planned and the valve was restored and shut off as intended. If the gouges are too significant then this will not work but you won't know until you've tried.
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !

On the road again, yay.........short lived arrghhh 8 years 7 months ago #9036

• Torque59
  • Torque59's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • POTEST ALITER SUBVENIRI NON POTEST PRO CUBICUS
  • Thank you received: 13
Thanks Scotch, I have an old set of carbs that are beyond salvaging so I will have a practice run on them first before I attempt that on my good ones.

I have just finished re-adjusting the float heights to within spec and re-setting idle mixtures etc and been for about a 15km ride.

What a difference between before and after. She is such a pleasure to ride, pulls strongly, no hesitation and just wants to fly.

I also have 2014 Triumph Rocket which I use as my daily ride. At 2300cc she is a real beast but soooo much fun to ride and never fails to put a smile on my dial. The Z1300 gives me the same re-action, as soon as I get on it and get moving she is so much fun, the grin keeps getting bigger and bigger, she is just awesome.

There has certainly been some heart ache and frustrations along the way, but now that seems a distant memory and all worth it.
I say that philosophically of course.....until the next hiccup comes along :unsure:
Restored an 1976 Suzuki GT550B
Restored an 1982 Kawasaki Z1300 A4.
Also rides a 2014 Triumph Rocket Roadster, 2300cc of pure fun.

POTEST ALITER SUBVENIRI NON POTEST PRO CUBICUS

On the road again, yay.........short lived arrghhh 8 years 7 months ago #9051

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 831
Torque59 wrote: Thanks Scotch, I have an old set of carbs that are beyond salvaging so I will have a practice run on them first before I attempt that on my good ones.

I wouldn't write-off that "old set of carbs" or necessarily use them as "Guinea-pigs" I've seen carb-sets in very bad condition that were resurrectable with some patience.
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !

Time to create page: 0.073 seconds