TOPIC:

On the road again, yay.........short lived arrghhh 8 years 7 months ago #8931

• Torque59
  • Torque59's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • POTEST ALITER SUBVENIRI NON POTEST PRO CUBICUS
  • Thank you received: 13
On Friday I finally got my bike back on the road after fitting new psitons, rings and havingvthe head done up.
The old girl fired straight up and once warm set into a nice idle.
I tweaked a few things and then took her out for her inaugural run.
What a blast, she ran so smoothly, heaps of grunt at the twist of the grip. I only took her for a short run, about 25km, no problems at all.

When I got home I parked her up, on the side stand and left her for the night.

Next morning I thought I would take my wife for a run on the old girl as she has supported me (emotionally) through my rebuild and is as excited as I about it.
That is when I noticed a smell of petrol in the garage and saw that the bike had been flooding.
I took the plugs out and spun it over, as I know these bikes are notorious for hydraulicing.
Yep out came a heap of petrol out of 5 and 6.
I was surprised at the amount as I have a vacuum operated fuel tap so without vacuum no petrol flows from the tap when the bike is not running.
Put the plugs back in and started her up. Got her going but again noticed the bike was still flooding when running arrrgh.
This is after I have had the carbs on and off so many times trying to sort out various issues, like float heights, blocked passage way etc when rebuilding it.

Left the old girl at home and jumped on my Triumph Rocket 3 and went for a ride on that instead as we had arranged to meet some friends. No time to look at the cause of the flooding then.

Got home again and took the tank off, plugs out, spun her over and more petrol came out of 5 and 6.

Oh well nothing for it but to take the carbs off and see what is going on. Very frustrating.

I put new kits in all the carbs, so am wondering if the clip on the needle valve is catching and holding it open. Time will tell.

Can't wait to sort this out and start riding her regularly.
Restored an 1976 Suzuki GT550B
Restored an 1982 Kawasaki Z1300 A4.
Also rides a 2014 Triumph Rocket Roadster, 2300cc of pure fun.

POTEST ALITER SUBVENIRI NON POTEST PRO CUBICUS

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

On the road again, yay.........short lived arrghhh 8 years 7 months ago #8933

• Yaegunp
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 32
I am less than a novice, so no point trying to part any words of wisdom. Hope you sort it out soon.
1983 Z1300 A5 plus Sidecar.

On the road again, yay.........short lived arrghhh 8 years 7 months ago #8934

• AERIAL0
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Know the feeling. So bloody frustrating :evil: If its not a carb issue with the 1300 its electrical problems. Sorry that not able to help solve your problem as new to the 1300 myself and still trying to iron out a few electrical problems :whistle: Have you taken a look in the FAQ section under carbs? Scotch is the man re carbs and no doubt will post shortly with a fix for your problem.

Last edit: by AERIAL0. Reason: text

On the road again, yay.........short lived arrghhh 8 years 7 months ago #8935

• aus_z1300
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 21
I put new cheap kits in my carbs and I had to lap the needles in the seats to get them seating properly.
I think I used autosol as paste I can't remember what i used to rotate them though.

On the road again, yay.........short lived arrghhh 8 years 6 months ago #8940

• kza13
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 97
Vacuum tap should not have leaked past, sure you had it in the correct position, if you have it in Prime it's open all the time, tap lever should be horizontal for either on or reserve, and i'd guess it was those new clips on the needles, I had to find my old ones to stop the binding, or your fuel float level is too high, just my 2 cents, sorry
after tuesday even the calendar goes WTF
1979 KAWASAKI Z1300 A1 WITH A DJP SIDECAR
Frame No: KZT3OA003911
Engine No: KZT3OAE004153

On the road again, yay.........short lived arrghhh 8 years 6 months ago #8943

• Mark
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 27
These bikes were initially fitted with a Fuel Solenoid shut Valve electronically Operated and bolted to the lower section of the air box, this provided a positive shut off when not running. For some reason people removed them am not sure why, I take the view that it is a good idea to re-fit. Somebody may say different and know the reason, I would be curious as to what this is.
These bikes have been renown for draining the tank into the Engine, air box, etc. Logic says to me if your Carb floats are not shutting off correctly this will happen due to gravity feed. Other option is to positively shut the petcock off every time you shut the bike down
17 years a Z13 owner at present 3 x A1's and an A4

Time to create page: 0.069 seconds