Fuel weep 9 years 1 week ago #7078

• Torque59
  • Torque59's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • POTEST ALITER SUBVENIRI NON POTEST PRO CUBICUS
  • Thank you received: 13
Hello again all,
I have another inane question for you all that I am hoping that you can help me with.

I have put a new fuel tap in my fuel tank. When I went to install it I noticed that the bolts went directly into a threaded section in the fuel tank. This threaded section is open to the petrol when petrol is placed in the tank.
When I removed the fuel tap I set the original bolts aside. I did not re-use these items but got new bolts and washers etc.
However I have noticed that since I have put fuel tap in and have put fuel in the tank I now have a fuel weep from around the bolts. The petrol is making it's way past the bolt threads and dripping down onto the intake manifold. I have put some petrol resistant sealer around the threads of the fuel tap bolts and will be getting some copper washers to try to stop the fuel weep.
In all my years of tinkering on bikes I have never had this issue, has anyone else had this issue.
I was wondering if the threaded section in the tank should have been capped in some way from new to prevent fuel from being able to have access to the threads, if this was the case then obviously someone has bodged my tank at some stage.
Suggestions and assistance appreciated.
Restored an 1976 Suzuki GT550B
Restored an 1982 Kawasaki Z1300 A4.
Also rides a 2014 Triumph Rocket Roadster, 2300cc of pure fun.

POTEST ALITER SUBVENIRI NON POTEST PRO CUBICUS

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Fuel weep 9 years 1 week ago #7079

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 831
hi Torque59.

You're on the right path with soft copper or aluminum washers. I do not believe any yr/mdl had "blind" tank-threads so I don't think anyone "bodged" your tank. A similar example would be the 10mm intake manifold vacuum bolts. Notice how thin of a washer is used but realize that the bolt and manifold each have a relatively large contact area which must be smooth and without deformation, scratches or galling, in order to seal.

I replaced my two original "philips" fuel shut-off screws with "socket-heads" many years ago, with no washers or sealant. My point regarding two smooth contact surfaces is realized in this example so you may be able to address your weeping issue with some minor attention with this in mind.
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.061 seconds