Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

A Hondasaki final drive 9 years 1 month ago #6160

• trikebldr
  • trikebldr's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 38

Kawboy wrote: Have you got a trammel to check the center to center distances of your pivot shaft to axle shaft? Just curious.

"We don't need no (stinkin') trammels!" Kawboy, Here in the 50 colonies we call them tape measures, or, in this case, a 24" dial caliper.

Actually, I will be grinding/hardening a simple center punch end on the pivot and axle shafts to do "transfer punch" marks to a steel bar. From this bar, after being drilled, I will again do a transfer punch to make the holes in the sides of the alignment jig's frame. These sides will be drilled at the same time. Exactly equal spacing determined by the spacing of the swingarm. Then it's just a simple matter of making sure the shafts are perpendicular to the sides of the jig's frame before welding the frame together.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

A Hondasaki final drive 9 years 1 month ago #6163

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027
Okay, Okay !! We're stupid up here in the North. We like spending crazy money on tools we'll never use again. (Actually I don't have any either). Looking forward to seeing THE WHOLE JIG when your ready to weld.

Oh, and about the 24" dial caliper - You must have some awful big nuts down there to measure with that 24 incher.

A Hondasaki final drive 9 years 1 month ago #6217

• trikebldr
  • trikebldr's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 38

Kawboy wrote: Oh, and about the 24" dial caliper - You must have some awful big nuts down there to measure with that 24 incher.

Haven't you grabbed your 6", 9" or even your 12" calipers only to find that the part was just a tiny bit longer than they can handle? Admittedly, my 24 inchers only get dusted off maybe twice a year, but at $85 on eBay about 10 years ago, I couldn't pass them up. Mitutoyo, no less. Perfect condition in a nice, felt-lined, wooden box.

Yeah! We do have some big nuts down here! They keep our psychiatric professions in business!

A Hondasaki final drive 9 years 1 month ago #6247

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027
We'd have to pay $85 Canadian just for the box. $1.29 Canadian to the American dollar. It's killing my EBay action!!

Time to create page: 0.099 seconds