• Page:

TOPIC:

Anybody recognize the wheel? 9 years 3 months ago #5507

• trikebldr
  • trikebldr's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 38
First, kudos to you, Craig, for the beautiful job on your trailer. I really love the surge braking system you installed. Great idea! I would be interested in seeing detail pics of how you added the brake rotors to those KZ440 wheels. I can imagine using custom rotors that replace the original chain sprockets.

I am currently starting a project to build a sidecar for my ZN1300 Voyager. Almost 30 years ago I had an '83 Voyager with a Motorvation Spyder sidecar on it (pic). Although Motorvation still makes the Spyder, they have made too many changes I don't like, so I will build my own version of it rather than buy. The original Spyders came with the wheel shown in the pic, but in black. I had to buy some Kawasaki gold paint to match the bike. For my new sidecar I would like to use the same wheel so that it matches the bike's again. It is a 16", so it is hard to find. Gotta be a front wheel, but most fronts are 18" and bigger.

Anybody recognize that wheel? I might even be willing to go with an 18" wheel, but the KZ440's front wheel is a 19".

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Anybody recognize the wheel? 9 years 3 months ago #5508

• aus_z1300
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 21
What about the harley sportster rear wheel they are 16 in a similar style.

Last edit: by aus_z1300.

Anybody recognize the wheel? 9 years 3 months ago #5510

• trikebldr
  • trikebldr's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 38
Yes, I have looked closely at that Harley rear wheel. It's probably the best match for a sidecar wheel so far, but it has nine spokes and the hub won't take a large enough inner bearing to fit a correct axle for a sidecar without some machining and/or an adapter carrier fitted to it. That other wheel you show is a front from a KZ1300, isn't it. Tons of them on eBay, and cheap, too, but they are 19". I did buy a really nice Harley 16" front wheel, but it has 11 spokes and it's hub also won't take a larger bearing on either side, not even with machining. Not enough beef after machining. But, thanks for the suggestion.

Anybody recognize the wheel? 9 years 3 months ago #5511

• aus_z1300
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 21
The other wheel is the front from a sportster same era 19 inch.
How about the gpz550 i had one a few months ago it looked like a mini z1300.
Not sure what size rims they run though .

Last edit: by aus_z1300.

Anybody recognize the wheel? 9 years 3 months ago #5512

• RickG
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 95
Check out some of the sports bikes of that era they were keen on using 16in front wheels on them
Live your life so that the Westbro Baptist Church will want to picket your funeral
Z1300 A1 x 2

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.102 seconds