Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

KZ1300-sitting long time 9 years 10 months ago #3526

• Twinpilot001
  • Twinpilot001's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
:ohmy: I bought a New kz1300 in 1980-best buke ive ever had. Moved several times over the years. Stored bile inside always. havent ridden since 1994? due to what seemed like a carb problem?? yet maybe ign coil dead?? Noticed when riding last= low furl mileage -low power!! Set it up! back then few dealers & tecks available. Last year discovered- engine would turn over - I then filled all cylinders with Diesel. now sat another year! Now in ready to start the process of freeing engine yet looking for advice? 20,000 miles on bike.

Now after soo LONG!! heres some other info- bike was running badly whenlast used it-like in ??1994?? I pulled carbs & started the pull apart process then - As I remember - this was way before we had any forums or computers as we do today!! I now have gathered 2 sets of carbs (if parts needed?) and also new float bowl gaskets & needle & seats. Along with some jets also. As im curious & will need to test -and after reading posts on the coils? I may have had a coil going bad back then? I also have gathered 2 sets of origional coils in past years too!- we will check spark when I get the engine tested -dont know if frozen as yet-dont think so --but?? Possible. I will try & put bike in gear & try rocking to see if engine is frozen with spark plugs out ! any suggestions? thanx.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Twinpilot001. Reason: new info==

KZ1300-sitting long time 9 years 10 months ago #3529

• Mikez
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 14
So you're saying the engine will turn over or are you saying it's locked?

Remove plugs, put it in highest gear, and try rolling it to free it up. Lots of other ways to do it as well assuming your valves aren't hitting...

Make sure to take every precaution while getting it into running condition. Test compression, inspect intake boots make sure there's no leaks, Upgrade tensioner, perform coil swap, clean/adjust/sync your carbs.
Much more that can be done from that point onward, but that might be a good place to start. If you don't already have a manual read the one on here thoroughly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Twinpilot001

KZ1300-sitting long time 9 years 10 months ago #3537

• RickG
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 95
If it has locked up due to sitting the problem is usually rust and that will kill the engine if you run it again without repairing it.
Get a Borescope available on fleabay 171335982640 and have a look and if you see rust then a top end rebuild is a must. Do it now because if you run the engine for more than just starting it it can very easily cost one hell of a lot more.
I rode a CB750 Honda around for 3-4 weeks before I pulled it down in similar circumstances and it had worn the bore so much that it was not useable even with an oversize piston.
Live your life so that the Westbro Baptist Church will want to picket your funeral
Z1300 A1 x 2
The following user(s) said Thank You: Twinpilot001

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.082 seconds