Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Finally Got One! In My Yard! 9 years 10 months ago #3716

• zed_thirteen
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 137
You measure the resistance of an HT coil on the primary side of the coil through the thin wires between the igniter and the ballast resistor (with the coil disconnected from the igniter and the ballast resistor)

If the resistance is around 1.5 ohm then you need to keep the ballast resistor. If it's close to 3 ohm then you don't need the ballast resistor.

The ballast resistor is just three 1.5 ohm resistors connected together on one side. Each 1.5 ohm coil and 1.5 ohm coil connected in series presents a rough total of 3 ohms to the igniter circuit.
1980 KZ1300 B2 Touring/A2
1990 ZZ-R1100 C1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Finally Got One! In My Yard! 9 years 10 months ago #3717

• Bucko
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164
Keep in mind that only very expensive meters would accurately read resistance down to a few ohms as that (a few ohms) is typically within a meters measurement error tolerances.
Hello from Canada's We(s)t coast.

Finally Got One! In My Yard! 9 years 10 months ago #3718

• Bucko
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164
Let me rephrase that....

Only high precision meters, which tend to be very expensive, would accurately measure resistance down to a few ohms as that (a few ohms) is typically within a meters measurement reading tolerances.
Hello from Canada's We(s)t coast.

Finally Got One! In My Yard! 9 years 10 months ago #3719

• Lucien-Harpress
  • Lucien-Harpress's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 108
Gotcha. I just want to be sure I'm not burning something up by not running a ballast resistor.

Finally Got One! ....sorta. 9 years 10 months ago #3721

• wrgoo56
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 14
That is the stock custom seat offered by Saddleman for these bikes back in 1979. That is what I have on mine. Mine was put on cause they dropped my bike when servicing it and didn't want to have to replace the front fork mount where the turn signel is so they offered me the seat and that was back in 1979.

Finally Got One! In My Yard! 9 years 10 months ago #3729

• Lucien-Harpress
  • Lucien-Harpress's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 108
Well, if anyone wants to trade a stock seat for it, they are more than welcome to it. As it stands, I'm probably going to strip it, reshape the foam, and get a stock seat cover.

In fact, the whole tour package is going to be for sale (fairing, bags, rack, trunk) here soon. I just have to get some photos and post up a topic. Let me know if anyone's interested.

I ordered a bunch of stuff for the blinkers last night (mostly grommets). Hopefully next paycheck I can get the last two blinker stems and then get everything powder coated.

Time to create page: 0.686 seconds